Help - Need a good pram plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by terry32506, Jan 2, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

My nephew found the 9' version of that pram in one of my books about 10 years ago, and fell in love with it. But he's a very big guy. So I redrew it for him at 11', with a little more freeboard and a couple inches more beam, and lofted it for him. He built it with an MDO bottom and a flat 2x6 keelson, and lapstraked the sides with some wood someone gave him. I never figured out what it was, but it was light, flexible, even-grained and easy to work; the best thing I've seen this side of western cedar.

He built the pram to row, and to take a tiny antique outboard he found somewhere, and it performed handsomely (within its limits, of course). At his request I also drew him a pivoting centerboard and a spritsail rig, but he ran out of ambition. He isn't an experienced woodworker, and I think he was scared to tackle it after I started working out of town. He didn't want to try it without me around, to give him moral support and answer questions.

2. terry32506

terry32506 Junior Member

Sounds like it was a great little boat. I am a woodworker but not a designer but sure wouldnt mind being one especially getting information piece by piece this project is making me get into it that much more. I will stick to the original plans and make some changes but adding a bench at the back type of thing and rub rails to go all around..Should look nice when its done. I thought by now it would have been at least half done. Good thing I am not in a rush to make one. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.