Help need to build a developable deck

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NorthCaptain, Jun 16, 2007.

1. NorthCaptain

NorthCaptain New Member

Dear group,

I have a problem with my current project. It is the building of a Chatam 40 (Gilbert Caroff). The problem is that on my architect plan (Gilbert Caroff), the deck was specified to have a constant camber. A constant camber yield what we call a "cylindric deck" which is easy to lay.

A cylindric deck works well when the width of the boat is constant. In the area of the bow though, were the beam start a zero and progress wider, it creates a reverse curve in the sheer. So on my plans, the sheer line is broken at some point and i do not find this elegant. So i would love to revisit the deck camber.

I know that in order to prevent the reverse curve, one need to build a constantly changing radius camber over the lenght of the deck. This is a known mathematical problem, this web site is full of mathematical reference on this subject. But i'm not a designer, i'm a boat builder and aluminum welder !

My question to the group is the following; with a given deck, sheer and camber, does it exist automatically a developable deck of some sort or if it is possible that no solution exist ?

(here is a reproduction of the front bow and the upper chine of the boat to protect the architect's intellectual property)

If someone is ready to take on this challenge for a reasonable fee then let me know !

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.