Help With A High School Airboat Experiment Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Blake, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Blake

Blake Guest

I found my way to this site through a search of 'boat design' in Yahoo, and I wanted to know if anyone can help me in my design of an airboat that I am required to build. I plan to go into engineering in college, and this is an excellent exercise for me to test my skills. I have to build a boat out of wood, and it must be able to fit in a small, water-filled gutter approx. 8 cm wide X 7 cm high. It is in a sense a drag race, in which I must accelerate through 2 m of gutter under five seconds to accomplish my goal.

Specifically, I need help in the design of the hull (I think that's what the bottom part that touches the water is called...I am obviously not very learned in naval architecture). I need to provide adequate bouyancy for the boat, which in its prototypal stages weighs about 150 to 180 g, and for MAXIMUM hydrodynamics. Would I need to curve the hull such that it looks like that of an aircraft carrier (in which the hull is shaped like a cusp) or like that of an everyday speedboat, in which the hull's curve comes outward, rather than inward? Sorry if this description is a bit vague, it's kind of hard for me to describe it...

Anyways, I appreciate any and all help in my project! Thanks...

Blake

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.