Help designing shallow deep police aeroboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ricardo Aurelio, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Ricardo Aurelio

Ricardo Aurelio Junior Member

I teach at a Brazilian University and we are making a study group of students to design and to construct a boat for free, that will be used by the environmental police to inhibit the ambient crimes at a bay in our city.
    I’ve got a large experience in boat construction, but none in boat design.
    Can anybody help me were to go (books, magazines, articles) that could be helpful for our idea?
    Thank you very much,

Mares

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I found this list, look at the Boston Whaler listings, seems to be popular in your part of the world.

http://www.coltoncompany.com/shipbldg/ussbldrs/postwwii/government/smallcombatantexports.htm

I've always been interested in how many type of craft are used in the Hong Kong harbor, one of the busiest in the world. Everything from A-Z including hovercraft seems to be made use of.

Don't you need to start with a program that states the function of the craft? How many people on board, crusing range, sea state ablity and so forth?

The more information on your needs you list, the more people can react to and give you suggestions. Have you ruled out inflatables or cross-overs?

3. Ricardo Aurelio

Well

We will have all information about the envoirement police need at the next week, but for sure it will be composite boat.

I'm just trying to gain some knolegments in this matter to be able to offer them some alternatives of idead of boat design.

I'll get the more information I can and then I'll ask for help again.

Thank you very much

Ricardo

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

This looks like it might be a useful feature if hooking up to other boats in bumpy waves:

http://www.wing.com/foam_collars.html

I don't know if a catamaran design would give you greater deck suface to operate from, but that's another consideration to think about.

The first stage of my architectural projects was research. The teacher would have students sign up to research certain aspects of the project, then we would compile it in a binder to share.

Having your students research different hull designs, differnt materials and what other police departments are using (and why) will help the whole class out - and give you direction/choices.

Most of all ask the police what they have in mind, and why. A good designer listens to his/her client. Good luck, sounds very exciting.

5. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

What about a RIB? check out nautica RIBs. RIBs have nice, big, soft collars for docking and are fast as you can get without special equipment OR really high costs.

6. Ricardo Aurelio

First of all, thank you again for your interest in helping us.
    I agree with you when you say that “a good designer listen to his clients”, we do have to know their needs to be able to satisfy them.
    I’d like to share some information about the project later on, if you aloud me.
    As regarding catamarans, may be that is a way to go, but I think they need some more deep water to navigate then a “flat bottom” boat, but in other hands it would be more safe when you are considering a “fan” (aero boat). Don’t you think so?

Thank you

Ricardo

7. Ricardo Aurelio

I know nothing about nautica RIB, I'll look for it. I'll try the terms "nautica Rib" at the Google search engine.

Thak you

Ricardo

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Oh..........you mean a swamp boat or air boat! Darn, I knew there was a hidden meaning in there.

I'm a hovercraft owner can tell you about those. Here in Detroit they had an "aero boat" and used it to go over the ice. I don't think it lasted long as there were hidden deep cracks in the ice, plus transitions (water to ice) were dicey at best.

The city of St. Clair Shore chose a hovercraft, the only time they made the news was when they ran out of gas rescuing the airboat guys and the six-foot waves capsized them.

In Florida both the police and smugglers use aero-boats.

There is something called a convertible, that is to say convertible from Solid-Side-Wall surface effect ship (SES) to amphious operation. This way you get heavy seas operation and can operate over tidal mud flats much like a true hovercraft.

Some good links (see education areas):
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/

Here is one that may interest you (Sidewall ACVs & the Convertable Concept):
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/HCA_Matl/Library/Library.html

Note: being able to get the bad guys when they are stuck in the mud or their hull is shattered on the rocks is an advantage you should look into. Hovercraft can start from dry land, end up on dry land - some allow for stretchers direct to ambulance van.

Edit: Sevtec is one make of amphious hovercraft which I read about having rough sea capability. While in Alaska they claimed to of survived 15 foot (5 meter) high wave swales. Below is one of their stories, but not the one I read before.

http://members.aol.com/sevtec/sev/AK.html

PS: This looks like a really informative Airboat site:
    http://www.canadianairboats.com/faq.html

9. Ricardo Aurelio

I guess they need a boat capable to navigate in at least 10 in deep water.
    They already have a "fan" engine that was isntalled in an old Hovercraft that didn't last much in our waters.

Ricardo

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Please find out for me what kind of hovercraft (factory or homemade), pictures would help.

I know salt water (and brine water) is very tough on boats/hovercraft - finishes,electronics and rubbery parts (like fuel lines or skirts).

I operate in fresh water, once a Florida guy saw my 1989 Scat II HP and said it looked brand new compared to the ones in Florida operating in the glades.

I'm trying on an experimental skirt on my craft, couple more weeks and I hope to be done.

Attached Files:

11. mackid068

Factory-made works well. Navigate at least at 10 kts or in 10 foot deep water?

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I think Ricardo meant that the craft needs to be able to navigate in water which is only 10 inches deep.

Also I need to tell Ricardo that RIB's are inflatables, but he must of figured that out if he went through with that Google search.

Please remember that English may not be Ricardo's first or primary language. Looks to be real English and not Americanized English.

The engine of the old hovercraft may not be powerful enough for a standad sized airboat. Also the intergral fan which many single engined hovercraft use is set up to produce static pressure for lift as well as velocity for thrust - and needs a duct. An Airboat just needs a big propeller for thrust, which will be more efficent (and quiet) for that application.

Go to that Canadian airboat website I gave already, there are design tables to see if you re-use the parts you have. You may not be able to do what your first impluse is.

Hovercraft do kick up a lot of spray, this may of lead to premature wear if they did not wash down the craft after each and every use. Salt is an unrelenting and unforgiving corrosive.

13. mackid068

Woah, 10 inches. Hovercraft would be a no-no in water that shallow (it wouldn't be fun to have to repair) Oh, my mistake, whoops...Airboat is still the best bet.

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Sounds like a job for a surplus US Air Force A10 Warthog and it's 30mm Gatling gun. One firing round pass would elimanate ALL crimes on the water in a 20 mile area. Force is only elimanated by a more powerfull force. Allright that is a bit of over kill. Any small milatary jet of the nearest Air Force with cannon fire would do. Would the local politicans allow the killing of criminals in a crime?

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What area in Brazil is it going to operate in? What are the powerplants available?