help with bulkhead

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nik33134, Jan 15, 2016.

1. nik33134

nik33134 New Member

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum. I bought an 1989 Hydrofield Jaguar 18, that is a trimaran speedboat, and found a leak on the gas tank so I got rid of it since it was badly corroded. So I'm going to have a gas tank fabricated, but I am restricted by a fiberglass barrier which could be a bulkhead, or maybe not. It's about 5mm thick, like an upside down L. Can I cut it off and re-glass it 30 cm aft? I can screw a couple of steel braces over the tank for lateral rigidity as well. The relevant barrier is marked with an orange X in the photo of the deck. I need to use the fore bilge compartment since my transom has a lot of motor weight already.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, those are rather overbuilt boats. Won't be a problem

3. nik33134

nik33134 New Member

Thanks Gonzo. So you think it's alright even though it could be the middle section of a bulkhead? Here's a schematic which doesn't seem to show much.

Attached Files:

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Its main job appears to be to support the floor hatch. You may have some unwanted added deflection of softness unless you stiffen the hatch cover up a bit. But I don't see any problems moving it based on the pictures.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

It appears that the fuel tank is steel. A poor choice for a gas engine and illegal in most jurisdictions unless it is hot dipped galvanized inside and out.
    The tank has to be 1/4 inch above the bottom and rest on a material that is impervious to moisture, plastic etc.
    Any straps etc in contact with the tank should also have the plastic or equivalent buffer between surfaces and the tank top is supposed to be built so that water cannot stand on it for extended periods of time, ie self draining
    Of course the draw line would have to be extended and any gaskets between the sending unit etc cannot be cork, ie neoprene only I believe

In any case, it would appear that you have ample room above the tank to increase the size of the fuel tank only slightly to get the same capacity as compared to adding 30 cm of extra length.

Perhaps this is a cheaper and easier solution

6. nik33134

nik33134 New Member

Hi Barry, what you see is not the tank, it's the bottom of the boat. The tank is gone. So as you can see now, there isn't that much space there.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Got it
    The fuel line looked like it was going into the tank and the other round disc looked like a badly corroded sending unit plate.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.