Hello all

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by vitaum88, Jan 14, 2015.

1. vitaum88

vitaum88 New Member

Dear all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Let me introduce myself:

I am Victor, Naval Architect graduated in 2011 in Universidade de São Paulo - USP, Brazil, and I currently work as an expat in Japan. My company is building 2 drillships here in a Kawasaki Heavy Industries and I am part of the Field Engineering Team. My main activities here are dealing with structural and outfitting issues.

My question here is: I'd like to study a little bit more about topics that I've already gone through in college as well as new stuff. Therefore, what would you guys suggest I do with my free time?

I've tried getting a few books and reading through them, but I personally do not like straight up reading books, because I don't really see "application" to all the content I am reading. Would you guys suggest doing some kind of small project? Even if nobody is going to build it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys.

2. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

Welcome , lots of good reading here. Maybe your expertise could help someone. São Paulo is a nice place , I like the old mission there.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Vitaum88, welcome to the forum.
    The best thing to do is try to project/calculate yourself something that is being built in your yard. This way you can compare your results with reality. When you have a specific question, you can consult in this forum.

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Pericles, this is a great book that reads well and whose reading can indeed be relaxing. What I don't know is if the OP will find things in it that may apply to his jobs in Kawasaki Heavy Industries.
    Forgetting this, I also recommend him at least to take a look.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Vitaum88

Welcome to the forum.
    Where in Japan are you based?..if you are near me, I'd be happy to meet up with you and mentor you, if you wish?

8. vitaum88

vitaum88 New Member

Hello everybody!

Thanks a lot for the answers! ahahha

Indeed, I am here in Japan working at KHI, my company's partner in this, but I don't really mind working with steel as a side project.

I've been studying and just wanted to do some practical things, if possible. Therefore the skiff can be quite a challenge.

Finally, I am in Kagawa-ken (Shikoku), so if that's close to you we can perhaps meet up and exchange some insights.

Thanks a lot everybody once again!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.