Heeled Waterlines

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JagerL, Dec 14, 2004.

1. JagerL

JagerL Junior Member

I know this topic has been discussed in other threads but I haven't found a direct answer before.

I am looking for a program from which I can generate heeled waterlines. I use Maxsurf for my design work. I know Hydromax is supposed to be the complement to that program that generates heeled waterlines, but the demo version does not let you import files, and there is no student version.

Does anyone have any ideas for a starving student/amateur designer.

Thanks in advance!

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

ProSurf lets you create and plot heeled waterlines.

Eric

3. JagerL

JagerL Junior Member

Thanks a lot!

I'll try it.

Anybody else have ideas?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The static heeled waterline is very different from the dynamic one. As the boat speeds up it changes. Either experience with a hull type or a tank test can give you an indication of the changes.

5. JagerL

JagerL Junior Member

Would I still be able to analyse the general symmetry/asymmetry of the hull? I am just trying to get some sort of idea. Here is a picture of the design I am working on. It is a all too common on this forum mini :D

Attached Files:

6. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

maxsurf will let you rotate the hull, it is much fater to let hydromax do the work for you, but if you want to translate the hull yourself in maxsurf choose your rotation point location and rotate the(hull) surface to whatever degree you want. To me it is much better to check out the waterlines in plan during large angle stability calcs. in hydromax. You can run many different load cases in a very short amount of time.

7. dougfrolich

oh yea, from what i can see looks like a great hull!!!! Do you have more renderings posted?

8. JagerL

JagerL Junior Member

Thanks for the reply! Every time I try to rotate the hull in Maxsurf, the model splits in half. Could you explain in more detail how to do it with the hull staying intact? I have attached a page of renderings. I'll post more when I get the next batch in. Still trying to make the jump from my modeling program (maxsurf academic) to my rendering program (Rhino academic) The hull has been recently changed in that the transom is a little narrower, and a little more volume aft. Comments/tips/help greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

9. dougfrolich

Import your model from rhino back to maxsurf as a 3d .iges file. Use a new file name. Then set up your grid spacing. You may have to adjust the orientation of the model so the plan,profile,and body plan are correct. you will be prompted for that info when you import the iges to back to maxsurf. To heel your model chose the rotation point, found under controls, then rotate the model- use numerical input to control all the translation about the appropriate axis. But if you get hydromax you will find it to be a great tool for this kind of thing. Great looking model and renderings

10. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Ok, thismay take some time to work out, but I want to do something similar myself. My take on this comes from the view that rhino can draw contour plots (planar) in X,Y with constant Z. so all we need to do is to rotate the hull in rhino (easy... selall ; rotate ; n degrees) then contour from some base point. Ok, I know what you're about to say, contours, not realistic waterlines... but what if you knew the sinkage and moved the hull as well? in fact, if you think about it, you can evaluate all 6 degrees of freedom... It's getting complex. Simplistically, all we want is a small script which will heel/pitch/yaw/translate a hull. Assuming that the whole hull is on a single layer, use sellayer (I think) and then just rotate it in script and write the contours to separate layers.

I'm sure a student can manage that,

Tim B.

nb, I'll have a look at it myself over the next few days.

11. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

yeah, two commands to select layers:

SelLayer
    SelLayerNumber

I suggest that the latter would be most useful

Tim B.

12. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Ok, well as it turns out, It is almost too simple to beleive. I'll attach the command script. This works in normal boat co-ordinates where X is longitudinal and Z is postive upwards. The script rotates the model by ten degrees, then draws all the contours on a new layer called "10 degrees". I'll leave it to you're imagination to do it with more angles, different directions, or whatever. Be careful of the description of the contours, it's not what you think. you define a direction parralell to the contour plane which rhino then steps perpendicular to (kinda logical)

All The best,

Tim B.

Attached Files:

13. JagerL

JagerL Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your help. This is what I have found. Using the rotate 3D command, you can define a new axis of rotation. As the boat heels, it sails on a new axis (roughly between corner of transom and centerline to bow). This is greatly exagerated on the mini. So I defined my axis (estimate) and rotated the hull about that axis. Then drew contours perpendicular to original axis. I achieved sucess after I realized that I first told the program to draw contours at .1mm not .1m. That froze my computer for about an hour :p . Anyway, thanks for the help!

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Depending on the hull shape the wave produced by motion changes. The length is proportional to speed, but the amplitude is to hull shape. The finer the hull the less amplitude. One of the effects of the bow wave is to produce a hollow amidships. This reduces the floatation and therefore the righting moment.

15. JagerL

JagerL Junior Member

I was attempting to analyse the waterline symmetry in order to evaluate my steering FD. The appendage angles on these boats get so extreme because of the width. Does the hollow form symmetrically or asymmetrically?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.