Have older fiberglass kayak paddle that 'sheds'

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

It sheds glass from the shaft, although the shaft is 'all there' and in perfect condition.

It has a visible cloth pattern showing through, in cool colors. Looks neat, but not a good idea IMO.

I'd rather paint the whole shaft rather than tape the hand holds, as it sheds from the other parts as well.

It is annoying. I just want to paint it, or something, to prevent the itch.

Any tips or REASONABLE recommedations on the type of paint.

I only use it occasionally, and don't want to get into a full blown 'gel coat' project.

Will any decent enamel spray paint be OK. I do use it in salt water.

2. Arildo

Arildo Junior Member

Hi,
    I don't know what "sheds" means (becouse I'm not english speaking), but I guess that the glassfibre is starting to stick "out"? Then you should just paint it with epoxy (or polyester if its made of that). HOW old is it? If you use some sand paper on it, it will smell polyester at once, but if odorless, it will be epoxy. You have to use the same type as its made of, unless it will not stick good to it. You have to sand it anyway to have anything stick to it! If using pure epoxy or polyester, the paint will shine trough!:D

3. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Paint will be a very temporary fix unless you wrap it with
    something. Just cloth will do, you need to sand it real
    good first. Get some Dacron cut three or four inches wide
    and wrap it neatly. You can use any water proof glue
    to fix the ends until the paint drys. I would not use
    spray paint, it has no body. Get some oil base, even
    spar varnish will work. Main thing, it needs to be clean
    and rough to make it last.

Glass and epoxy will be best, but you still need to paint
    it, UV you know.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

How about some very light fibreglass cloth covering - and a layer of epoxy. That will be the only thing that would stop the decay.

5. Arildo

Arildo Junior Member

Helloooo! Anyone listen to me? As I said: epoxy or polyester is the question! you cannot use epoxy on polyester vice versia. "smell" it first to find out what it is! (Polyester will smell alot, but epoxy notthing) Then rub it down with sand (need to rub it down anyway). Then simply add polester or epoxy as a "paint".

6. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Anildo, you said this twice already and you've been wrong both times. You should use epoxy no matter what the original resin was, because epoxy sticks better to *anything* than polyester. Epoxy is an adhesive, polyester is not.

Squidly, just sand it down first to get rid of the loose fibers on the surface and to remove any of the original resin on the surface that's apparently damaged and causing this problem in the first place. Then wrap a thin fabric of some kind around the shaft (doesn't have to be glass), coat it with epoxy, fill the weave, sand it smooth, paint it, and start using it again.

7. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

I'll second that, epoxy is the only way to go.

8. Squidly-Diddly

Thanks everyone, I'll look into epoxy.

I've heard other 'fiberglass gurus' say only epoxy is worth your time on any repair.

The shaft is 'all there', it just imparts a fiberglass itch when it rests on non-calloused skin.

9. bntii

bntii Senior Member

If you can lean on one of your gurus- just sand it down with some 220 and have them spay a coat or two of Awlgrip 545 primer. It's an epoxy paint but will last sort of forever out it the sun and is dead easy to apply, will look good and seal up the surface. If you start glassing up the surface or using pure epoxies the sun will eat it up over time and the whole fairing issue is a PITA. You can spray it yourself using one of the disposable prevalve units but then you have to buy the 545 and the whole deal gets too expensive fast.
    Fast and dirty which will last for a good long time- Rustoleum spray paint from your local hardware store.

10. Squidly-Diddly

Rustoleum sounds best, next season I can buy another

can.

I'm still wondering 'what is up' with this 'shedding'. I've never seen(felt) fiberglass that has been wetted start giving up fibers.

The paddle was obviously professionally made, and pretty expensive at the time.

Maybe it was done on the bleeding edge of 'lightweight' as far as resin/cloth.

11. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Squidly

Why not stop by the hardware store and get a roll of
    common friction tape and give it a good wrap, replace
    it every couple of years. Might cost $2.00? Take 10
    minutes?

12. crazybudjr

crazybudjr Junior Member

its old and detereorating its called whitining like a delam it needs a new wrap and gel kote finish

13. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Sun has just burned up a bit of the resin in the outermost layer so the fibers are exposed.
    Very common in bits that see lots of sun like vhf antennas, spring poles, etc. Used to work on a old houseboat that has the whole house structure shedding like this- was a real pita.
    I have a carbon kayak paddle in the same shape- I will spray it one of these days if I ever remember to have it around when I have a spray job going.
    Rustoleum will buy you years of service- really a pretty decent paint.

Regards

14. crazybudjr

crazybudjr Junior Member

resin and epoxy have same bond ...bond is only as good as your scuffed area is roughed up ..i mix resin with bondo thined with acetone as a epoxy everyday

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.