Hardtop methods?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DianneB, Dec 14, 2010.

1. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

I wanted to thank ya'll for your input on techniques for building my hardtop.

After carefully considering a LOT of alternatives and possibilities I decided to go with the same profile as the existing wheelhouse roof I replaced last spring. With the compound angles matching the windshield was a real bear before and keeping the existing roof saved a lot of work. I also liked the "classic wood yacht" appearance of the ribbing so I continued the same style with 2" more head room. When the weather warms up in the spring, I will fair the two roofs with Styrofoam and glass both as one piece. In the mean time I am waiting for the 6061T6 aluminium to fabricate the 4 supporting columns. (The picture shows the hardtop in place on temporary supports.)

[​IMG]

2. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

Well I got the hardtop mounted and decided to tie it to the wheelhouse roof with wood to make the two roofs one integral structure.

I had planned to fibreglass both roofs but the more I think of the weight, cost, and complexity of doing an 8' x 14' surface, the more I am looking for an alternative.

Does anybody know of a roof paint that stands up well, maybe something with some elasticity? Any other effective and light weight roof coatings?

Thanks!

(Pictures are on my Web site at http://dianneb.unlimitedtree.com/Lonestar/Lonestar3.html)

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Elastomeric roof paints are an options, though as paints go they aren't the lightest, because of it's thickness.

Truck bed liners would also make a great roof coating, but again the weight of these coatings is high compared to regular paint.

To be frank, I wouldn't worry so much about the weight of these paints. We're only talking about ounces.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.