Hardtop: Attaching alloy composite panels to alloy frame?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rustybarge, Oct 26, 2013.

1. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

fantastic idea.....never thought of that.:)

i could run an alloy 'angle iron' along the side of the frame to stiffen the longintudional strenght:

[​IMG]

the cross-frames are at 1mtr centers, so if i mount mount the 4' by 8' panels crossways that would work out perfectly.

but....would a double thickness panel overlap(say 6") pop riveted on top of the frame strengthen the frame?

2. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

:idea: I could bolt a length of alloy 'sliding window' extrusion half way up the frame to brace it; it would then serve two purposes: to stop racking of the frame, and hold the sliding windows.

could you tell me the correct terminology for this window track: Google hasn't throw up any UK suppliers?
    Any idea's?

I was hoping to use Acrylic side windows, what sort of thickness would suit a 3' by 2' window?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.