Hanuman

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Maxime, Feb 19, 2010.

?

Do you like the design ?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Maxime

Maxime Naval Architect

Hi,
    Hanuman's range is 4500 nautical miles , thanks to her 141 tonnes of LPG (310 m3). She is able to go from the mediterranean sea to Carribean Islands on her engines only but the Kite should be of a great help and economy in the trade winds of the Atlantic. She still has to come back though !
    The tanks are located below the lower deck , as you will see on the CL plan when the site approves the picture ! The fact that the tanks need to be cylindrical had not occured to us , but its no big deal as there is plenty of space on lower deck for extra cylindrical tanks.

Thank you again for your replies,advices and links !

Maxime

2. patiras

patiras Junior Member

141 tonnes of fuel for 12 passengers. That's the same as the average person uses in a car in 30 years.
    Aimed at the whole notion of superyachts, rather than this design...... which has a "low carbon footprint"?!?
    But then I felt guilty running our 90 evenrude and downsized to 18hp
    Al.

3. Maxime

Maxime Naval Architect

Well , Just consider that in all the existing superyacht it's diesel, here it's LPG , which is a lot cleaner...I am not trying to justify the superyacht market,just trying to make it better even if I know my design will never be built, I 'd rather under sails for ever too !!

4. clean and eco-friendly i wonder

thinkings of clean and eco-friendly should in reality be called eco-toxic because thats what it is.
    diesel fumes epoxies gas... are not exactly friedly to nature so choose word friendly
    i would guess friendly sound ho alot better than toxic but toxic is better choosen word since
    it toxifies our earth its not like gas is good for flowers or bees, lets then talk about less
    toxic to nature where we all should be aware of mother earth and not letting one part of it
    do whatever and in one part we should clean as much as we can. in swe we have a say what gets
    covered by snow get uncovered when mild weather comes. so what we do should be done with a
    thought at how mom can cope with what we do. it might be too late already to change whats coming.

think of einsteins law about energy, nothing can be created only transformed.

so what needs to be calculated into your product is what you make from start to end how much
    energy is consumed and how much is costs the nature and make that a value you can use to as a
    reference to accomplish end product. then you need to add upp what it costs to run the built
    object boat car or whatever it is youre building. and then make a comparable value of that so
    it can be compared with other boats. we can make two values out of that first make one thats
    called "WALBEC" thats what it costs to boil a liter of water at +-0m above sea at normal atm
    pressure and then add to that somethings thats called "NvC" nature value cost thats a
    combination of things like poisonoss to nature to make. breakdown time and some other things
    could be added to it so it can represent a value that can be compared with other objects.

without these values it would be like comparing apples and oranges and no number can be used
    as comparison, so that two products looks the same cant be compared because there are no numbers
    to compare.

and today its dirty to talk about gas and diesel, but it might cost the nature less than using
    some other type of fuel because of what we can call a transformation cost can alse be counted as
    a "walbec" as well

because to get an object from point A to B it costs energy so it doesnt really matter if alcohol
    or diesel and any other fuel for that matter as long as the "walbec's", "nvc's" are low.

so remember that when u buy you next car for example how much is the real cost of getting that
    1000kg of minerals from point a to b not just how much in gas cost forgetting about that
    electrical cost from the outlet.

to build something like a boat or a car, weigt and and how streamline formed it is to be as easy
    as possible to get it from one point to another.

so lets stop talking about eco-friendly because its not its not friednly to nature, lets talk
    about "walbec" "nvc" or any other name on these it doesnt matter as long these are comparable.

sorry for the english might not be correct, but i hope u get my point.

/regards

5. patiras

patiras Junior Member

Whilst it is usefull to quantify things, I don't think its rocket science to see that burning fossel fuels by the hundreds of tonnes for the pleasure of a dozen people is neither sustainable nor environmentally friendly.
    LPG may burn cleaner, but last I heard it was still a finite resource, n'est pas? (and lets not even go down the bio-fuel, red herring route...)
    Sorry, I'm really not having a go at the design, it just makes my skin crawl every time I see one of these monsters leave a yard. By having competitions for this sort of thing by bodies like RINA I think gives it a "respectability". Some things are never going to be sustainable with the forseeable advances in technology, and its about time society consigned them to the past. Unfortunately, as long as governments are run and influenced by the sort of people that buy these monoliths, its not going to happen.

Al.

6. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Vraiment , moi aussi

please can you translate for me the words FLYING BRIDGE VERSION , merci beaucoup oh!! en Francais s'il vous plai

7. Maxime

Maxime Naval Architect

I don't think there is a french word for it , Beneteau actually use this term on their web site!
    but you can try :
    -Poste de pilotage aérien
    -Pont aérien

Regards

8. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

I think yachts are things of beauty. It makes me really sad that the masses target the beautiful things while the mediocre things in mass continue... I'd much rather have the pleasure of seeing a new yacht come to port than get yet another ton of useless grocery packaging... or blow the same fuel transporting frozen fast food across country, or replace our cars every 3 years with cars that are about the same or furniture with furniture about the same or singing birthday cards or (on and on and on) filling the scrap heaps with junk to be buried under tomorrow's "parks." Sorry for the rant, but it bothers me when someone looks at a new boat and says "horrible monster" just as if they looked at a child and said "ugly monster resource consumer." If someone has worked hard enough to have the resources to build a magnificent yacht, I salute them for building something beautiful instead of using the same money to fuel something ugly.

1 person likes this.
  9. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Voila!! merci

10. patiras

patiras Junior Member

I think that some yachts are things of beauty too (that's why I studied yacht design oh so many years ago); there are also some right dogs out there. I happen to think Predator was a beautiful boat, but we have to take responsibility for our and our childrens lives . We can't just run round like kids in a toyshop saying "I want I want...". Climate change aside, oil is going to run out in my childrens lifetime. Perhaps we should leave some for future generations rather than just burning it in persuit of the ego's of a tiny minority?
    Al.

11. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

You are probably right that over a certain size is "obscene" and if it burns a ton of fuel without giving a ton more pleasure, I'm onboard there. No reason to waste if there's a better way to reach the same goal or a better yacht to build with the same investment. But I get angry when as a powerboater I feel like people make out that I'm killing the planet all of a sudden to go boating on the weekend, even when they're sitting in their 4th new car or 3rd vacation home to snub their noses. In the 1970's they taught us that we were going to be out of oil by the 90's or at least by the turn of the century. Then in the 80's people forgot all about the problem and cars got bigger and more plentiful than ever and then SUVs dominated through the 90's. They're still selling hummers, lots of slightly smaller SUVs, big trucks, etc. I'm sure we will run out of oil, but until everyone changes the mainstream habits, I'm not sure frowning on a few superyachts is going to make much difference overall. I will actually like it better I think when we get closer to the edge so pricing makes alternate technologies really start to develop. It will be exciting when we see environmentally friendly boats zipping along at 40 mph and giving people the same thrill, but charged up through wind or solar power or who knows... I can't get excited about telling someone they shouldn't build a great boat because we need to save the gas to burn on the freeways at rushhour or to feed into a generator to generate electricity to charge up our 7th telephone or fuel so we can continue to overnight air ship all our boxes and parcels because we're too impatient to wait a couple days to send them by ground.

12. patiras

patiras Junior Member

Please don't get me wrong; I have similar feelings to SUV's, shipping food half way round the planet, not insulating your loft, powerboats (of which I have 2; ask me about it if you want) and the general throw-away society. Its just that this posting was about a superyacht.
    If you want to discuss the wider issues, I'll happily join you in a new thread.
    Al.

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I did not understand that this design was a contest entry...good for you Maxime.

Given the requirements I would be thinking in another direction......http://wharram.com/gaia.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.