Gravy Boat, Custom Albin 25

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Yobarnacle, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Ventilation is absolutely essential for clothing in humid warm climates. Mildew is the bane of Florida.
    Net hammocks are better than closed lockers. Well ventilated hanging lockers (closets) important too. And a drip pan equipped wet hanging locker for outer garments to dry in, near companionway, needs to be remote from other clothing.

Un-needed off season clothing best stored ashore.
    keep aboard only sufficient clothing for expected requirements.
    A hanging locker jammed full to overflowing, does not provide adequate ventilation to prevent mildew.

2. Yobarnacle

It's worthwhile examining hygienic practices of pre-modern culture, before the invention of deodorant soaps and unlimited hot water showers.
    Not that these luxuries are to be despised.
    An evening away from the vessel, including overnight accommodation with limitless hot water, is a treat to be anticipated when in port.
    On a 25 footer, it's a simple fact of life, these nice-to-haves aren't easy to design into the limited space.

Prior to invention of drycleaning, silks and woolen clothing was "aired". Washing would ruin the tailoring, the "cut". Become misshapen and baggy and horrible looking.
    Full body undergarments were worn, the longjohns and petticoats, primarily to protect the expensive outer garments from being dirtied/stained by contact with the skin perspiration. And perspire they DID.

I'm not suggesting waistcoats and tails and tophats.

I'm saying outer clothes can be worn more than one day, if they're hung and well aired for a couple days before wearing again.
    Fortunately, cottons rinse out and dry quickly.
    Casual clothes like sport shirts, shorts, jeans, aren't an issue.

But if you need a business suit and your wife a cocktail dress or business attire, to be kept aboard, consider using under shirts as well as under pants, and "airing" the formal clothing after wearing.
    Make do with ONE suit each.
    Moderns from cold climes understand.
    Ask if their winter jacket or overcoat is washed after each wearing?

3. Yobarnacle

The Bidet.

You'll be cleaner if you wash, instead of just smearing around with a wad of tissue paper.
    And so will your clothes remain cleaner.
    A phone shower works, if nearby the bowl.
    So does a spray bottle.

I think you get the point.

4. Yobarnacle

The 'sea" shower.
    Freshwater is precious at sea.
    What you waste today, you may wish you could drink next week.

The traditional 'sea' shower, is get wet, shut off the shower while you lather up, then rinse off.
    No luxuriating under a pelting spray/stream of relaxing hot water.
    That's called a "HOTEL" shower.
    I wonder where you take those kinda showers?

5. Yobarnacle

And now, the soak tub.
    Can be more relaxing than a HOTEL shower, for a longer time, and uses less water.
    The cleanest daintiest family member bathes first, the grittiest nastiest last.
    Everybody uses the same tub of water.
    The areas of the body considered private, are pre-washed with soap and a wet rag before entering the tub.
    The family Saturday night bath followed this routine.
    The Japanese made a social art of it!
    http://www.gojapango.com/culture/ofuro.html
    Just think of it as a hot tub.
    On 'GRAVY', it doubles as a reclining chair when not bathing in it.

6. Justaguy

Justaguy Junior Member

Hey Yobarnacle,

Good string of posts. Not enough about the bidet though! ;-)

Wanted to mention one thing. I've got quite a bit of use experience (vs. technical experience) with instant tankless propane hot water heaters. Your post back a ways prompted me to pass something on.

Some of the heaters that I've experienced, while more efficient in a few important ways, work poorly in low water pressure situations. Might be particularly applicable on a boat. Water can take a long time to heat up and minor changes in volume of water demanded can cause the burner to shut off (mid-shower), etc.

In one case, the addition of a separate water pump just to keep enough water going to the heater to avoid burner shutoffs helped. However, that introduced a new problem. With the pump running, often the water moves too quickly through the heating mechanism to fully heat up (especially noticeable on cold days).

Some tankless heaters are likely better than others in this regard, but I don't know which are which. If someone else knows, I'd like to hear it.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If you send the gray water into a still, it could be re-purified into drinkable water. A tea kettle painted black with a coil of copper tubing would get the job done.

8. Justaguy

Justaguy Junior Member

I've looked into solar distillation of any water to create potable water. Seems pretty straightforward. The only part that no one seems to talk about much (that I've seen) is waste products. Whatever makes it gray (or salt in the case of seawater) must stay behind. In the DIY videos I've watched, they never show how that issue is dealt with.

9. Yobarnacle

If you dump a gallon of pure grain alcohol into a gallon of seawater, the salt falls to the bottom as crystals.
    Can be strained out with a coffee filter.

But what do you do with the 2 gallons of 100 proof potable water?
    Alcohol is SO hydroscopic, it WILL displace the salt to connect to the water molecules.
    This process is used in DNA labs all the time.
    Problem is, the alcohol won't LET GO of the water. Not even distilling.
    I'm looking for a solution to the problem, in sonic resonance separation.
    Be great if we can desalinate seawater with re-usable alcohol, then play some eclectic jazz at the mixture, and the alcohol just boil off into it's own container again.
    Leaving pure H2O.
    Haven't found the frequency yet. 528 hz ain't it.
    Maybe a near freq or harmonic chord? or dis-harmonic? Resonance and dissonance. Harmony and disharmony.
    Not to be confused with chaos. Disharmony can be a great motivating factor toward cohesiveness.
    Don't nations often develop a social single mindedness in war time?

Music is math.

http://ray.tomes.biz/maths.html

"The new shape of music: Music has its own geometry, researchers find. The figure shows how geometrical music theory represents four-note chord-types -- the collections of notes form a tetrahedron, with the colors indicating the spacing between the individual notes in a sequence
    Music has its own geometry, researchers find. PhysOrg - April 17, 2008"

"If I were not a Physicist, I would probably be a Musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get most of my joy in life out of music." Albert Einstein

"Do you know that in 1955, 440 Hz was made a general tuning standard for musical pitch? Before that was 432 Hz. 432 Hz makes the sound of music more harmonious, calm, promotes happiness and deep understanding, passion. 440 Hz is more energetic, faster, it is almost like racing. It is more competitive and focusing on the details, the understanding of the things we can see. So why would someone and most importantly how, decides that 440 Hz is better than 432 Hz? "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0z3pEeYDEw

and for justaguy's prurient curiosity
    http/USEtube/ xxx in bowl camera bidet instruction

Don't worry, it's NOT a selfie!

10. Yobarnacle

SHADE CLOTH (tossed next to dumpster this morning)

picture as promised.

Do you want it Hoyt?
    I'll grab it for you.
    Will fill up your pickemup truck.

Too late.
    Rob got it!

Attached Files:

11. hoytedow

Hah! Thanks anyway but I have all I need of fabric. Let me know if you find any large bronze portholes though.

12. Yobarnacle

13. Yobarnacle

Composite picture of pieces of other photos, so able to reconstruct the casting of the DIY basket strainer in the salon sink.
    Wedding Ring saver.
    Cap on spray paint cans same size as measuring cup.
    Slits in cup/cap bottom edge will let water drain and still capture jewelry.

Attached Files:

14. hoytedow

Actually, you gave me a great idea through this link. Since the bronze ones are out of my pay grade, I will build them out of wood based on the photos and give them a metallic finish. The purpose of the porthole is not for a boat but for remodeling our bathroom. It will have a mirrored lens and mounted on a round box with shelves behind the mirror. Photos will follow upon completion of the project some time down the road.

15. Yobarnacle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.