Gravy Boat, Custom Albin 25

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Yobarnacle, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

That was my teenaged grand daughter relieving herself. If you thought she was a guy, you need new binoculars!

How DARE you call me sane. I've lost SO MUCH in my lifetime, it only recently became obvious. I miss my mind! :weep:

All you need to be legal in Florida is fishing licenses. Fresh, salt or better both.

Used to be, cane pole fishing didn't require a license, now?

At MY age, Florida gives me FREE hunting and fishing licenses.

I love my native state!

2. Yobarnacle

addendum to solar still

Attached Files:

• tow.JPG
      tow.JPG
      File size:
      166.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Yobarnacle

Woops, I was mistaken. you can STILL freshwater fish with a cane pole, no reel, without a license in Florida.

http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/freshwater/license-exemptions/

4. Yobarnacle

You don't need a salt water license to fish with cane pole, either.
    But look at the FREE shoreline license! Fish with rod and reel, TOO.

http://myfwc.com/news/resources/fact-sheets/shoreline-fishing/

I LOVE my native state!
    I LOVE and revere the US Constitution.
    I LOVE the USA being of, by and for the American people.
    The feds politicians and bureaucrats? Don't even ask!
    Regress to an Eisenhower sized federal govt. Worked pretty GOOD then, but now?

Thanks for mentioning and inspiring me to look these up.

5. Justaguy

Justaguy Junior Member

Thanks for all the good info. I still feel like I need a lawyer and biologist in the boat or neighboring lawn chair to safely go fishing. Don't even get me started on hunting. Feel pretty certain that under the current regulatory regime, American Indians would have starved to death. But that's probably just grumbling.

6. Yobarnacle

Worry is the interest paid on trouble before the principle is due. So don't worry about it. Don't fret yourself.
    Don't borrow trouble.

Once I got arrested for shooting seagulls. And I almost got away with it.
    I told the game warden, I shot the seagulls because I was hungry. He was sympathetic and about to let me go, until I gave him the recipe.

He asked how I planned to cook the seagulls, and I said a gumbo, seasoned and cooked together with snowy owl and bald eagle meat I got earlier, and invited him to dinner.
    Maybe should have said stewed with dumplings?
    It was obvious he hated gumbo from his sudden belligerent attitude.

7. Justaguy

Justaguy Junior Member

Yeah, probably not the wisest retort.

No way seagulls are endangered, so what's the problem there ... just on the NO list?

8. Yobarnacle

9. Yobarnacle

Somebody didn't like this thread and gave it a 1 star 'terrible' rating vote. :D
    Envy maybe?

10. Yobarnacle

Yesterday I was working on final fitting of the bulkhead and companion steps.
    Only way I know to do it, is assemble, mark where the fit isn't quite perfect, disassemble, sand and grind, and reassemble to check fit again.

Gets a bit tedious, but an important process.
    Early evening I glassed the steps and bulkhead together.
    When I return to the project this morning, I'll reinforce glass the other side of the bulkhead step assembly.
    Then test for final fit and probably adjust fit a smidgen here and there.

Because damp and wet clothing will be hung in the wet locker, it will be a prime location for mold and mildew to thrive.
    Rigging the bulkhead to open completely, will make cleaning that locker much easier, and EZ means more frequently.
    Difficult jobs tend to get postponed.

The steps and bulkhead are a stronger more ridged, more stable component when glassed together. They're not heavy.
    And only one hinge and latch needed for the both.
    That's why I chose to glass them as a solid unit.
    The bulkhead is my idea/design. Carved from scrap from a wreck.
    Original Albin 25s have a galley in this corner, so no original bulkhead.
    And the original deep cockpit, only needed a single step down into salon.
    My raising the cockpit sole to level of original seat tops, required more companion steps. Again, salvaged from a wreck.

Attached Files:

11. Justaguy

Justaguy Junior Member

Every post isn't for every person, and neither is every poster universally palatable.

Unfortunately, there are people everywhere, even in a generally friendly and helpful forum such as this, who are motivated mostly by their own sense of self-importance.

Just ignore them and move on.

12. Yobarnacle

https://people.rit.edu/~dml5001/425/Critiques/critique 1.html

[​IMG]

Aroma 8-Cup Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
    $19.96
    List price $24.99
    Save $5.03
    Walmart

My MOST frequently used appliance!
    The rice cooker/steamer is also a fryer, with a spoon full of oil in the bottom. Frys bacon, sausage and eggs, pork chops, hamburgers.
    Boils hotdogs..
    Heats up contents of cans VERY rapidly.
    Makes Ramein and other one pot pasta dishes as well as rice and rice casseroles, and even makes cornbread.
    Boston brown bread, too! Also a steamed bread as is corn bread. And Quiche makes in the rice cooker!
    It's a FAST cooker as opposed to a slow cooker. and it fits in the salon sink. All it requires is 110 volts for about 10 minutes.

The water heaters I have, are also my favorite appliances. The fat tub heater hard-boils a dozen eggs in as many minutes. And The boiling water added to equal amount cold water is perfect for bathing and dish washing. Nearly instant Hot water for tea and coffee and jello, you name it. Only takes a minute.
    These electric water haters are rapid and economical and fit in the salon sink when using. Easy to store out of the way when not being used.

[​IMG]

The only other appliance I heartily recommend as necessary in a boat galley, is the microwave.
    Doubles as a faraday cage for sensitive electronics during thunder storms. :D
    And a sprouter cabinet the rest of the time. Just load /slide in screen trays of sprouting seeds you rinse once daily.
    Microwave garden. Don't forget to remove sprouts before using as microwave.

Attached Files:

13. Yobarnacle

Prefer MOST cooking is done outside.
    Keeps heat and persistent odors OUT of the salon.
    The SeaSwing stoves mount in a socket very similar to an oarlock socket, and I have extra oarlock sockets the SeaSwings fit.
    Plan on VARIOS MULTIPLE locations in and about the boat, to use my two SeaSwing gimbaled stoves.
    And the stainless Sea Grill sticks outboard over the lee side..
    What else could you need?

Well, I'm showing in the picture what else I need. But you might not.
    it's a tortilla press. (top right)
    Tortilla dough is HARD. You can barely knead it by pounding on it with your fist.
    It requires mechanical advantage to flatten.
    Another hard dough is sourdough. The press works for it also.
    Two or three thin flat disks of dough, dusted with flour and cooked stacked together, make a good bun, EZ to separate into halves for dressing a sandwich.

[​IMG]

Love breakfast consisting of dark roast Cuban espresso coffee, with fresh made quesadillas. and a fresh blender drink made of cut up cantaloupe, crude sugar, ice, and water. ( potassium, at 4 milligrams, calcium, at 2 milligrams and iron, at 0.05 milligrams. A tablespoon of raw sugar also has minuscule amounts of magnesium and copper. It has no vitamins, fat or cholesterol.) The hearty, golden crystals are never bleached, so they keep the rich flavor and color of their natural molasses.
    How do you make coffee?
    Well, you heat up some water on a SeaSwing or in an electric hot water pot, and you COULD stir in instant coffee crystals?
    Or, do as I do and use a hand powered French Press Coffee Maker with the hot water.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/french-press-coffee-maker

I have a salvaged blender carafe adapted to run with a 12 volt cordless drill. A drill powered coffee grinder, too.
    Easy obvious conversions.
    A little scrubbing with bicarb of soda paste, mixed dry with the tiniest bit of water, shines up the salt air corroded aluminum on the SeaSwings and tortilla press.
    and bicarb is non-toxic..

Attached Files:

14. Yobarnacle

How to Use a French Press Coffee Maker

https://youtu.be/I50Cr91Sbg0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I50Cr91Sbg0&feature=youtu.be

How to Use a French Press Coffee Maker. The French press is a hassle-free alternative to the coffee pot. A popular choice in Europe and Australia, the French press is energy efficient and offers a unique taste for coffee.
    Use a French Press Coffee Maker
    Things Needed

Coarsely ground coffee
    Hot water

Step 1

Remove the top/filter from the press.
    Step 2

Pour the coffee grounds directly into the bottom of the press. Use freshly ground coffee grounds for the most flavorful coffee. Course ground coffee is the best for a French press as it is less likely to escape from the filter and leave sediment in your coffee.
    Step 3

Boil the premeasured amount of water and let cool for about 30 seconds before adding to the press.
    Step 4

Place the top back on the press with the filter raised all the way up. Allow the coffee about four minutes to brew.
    Step 5

Press the filter all the way down to the bottom of the press. Allow about 30 seconds or so to settle and the coffee is ready.

Warnings

The coarser the grounds are the longer the brewing time. You shouldn't need more than four minutes. With practice you will be able to determine the perfect mix of coarseness and steeping time for you.

Warnings

Coffee made in a French press is intended for immediate consumption. Coffee that is allowed to sit in the press will eventually become bitter.

http://www.geeksonhome.com/how_4744408_use-french-press-coffee-maker.html

And you don't have to buy paper filters, the press is a permanent washable filter, and the French press never wears out and takes up very little space, unlike a Mr Coffee..

And it's ELEGANT!
    Rather like a Japanese Tea ceremony.
    Ceremony exalts the mundane from mere existence, to LIVING WELL!
    Exemplary attention to small details, is ALL the difference.
    Someone intent on doing the details correctly has an air of natural dignity others are reluctant to disturb.
    A deference to ceremony.
    Not ceremony in the sense of fanfare and pomp and pageantry.
    Just serious about getting the most from the moment!
    Focus.

15. Justaguy

Justaguy Junior Member

Agree on the water heater/kettle and rice cooker. You've found all sorts of ways to use the rice cooker that I hadn't thought of. I'm quite interested in how you use it to bake.

I also appreciate you mentioning the tortilla press. Wanted one of those, but had forgotten. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.