GOP Home Build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schultzfactor, Oct 25, 2013.

1. schultzfactor

schultzfactor Senior Member

Here is the deck structure joining the two hulls. Once I've flipped her and flattened out the rocker, I intend to skin the outer hull and tunnel with 3ml Ply and Fibreglass with 300 Gm double ply and epoxy.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Those scantling don't seem remotely close to tolerating the slamming and torsional loads you can expect at 40 knots. Bring a chase boat on launch day.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

schultzfactor, could you attach a drawing to indicate what you intend to do?. In this way we could do better suited comments and, maybe, help you, if this is what you need.
    As for the scantlings I do not think anyone can say whether or not they are sufficient, just looking at that picture. Slamming: I do not know if it is an element that must be taken into account, would have to see the bow of your boat. What, to me, is clear is that the distribution of the longitudinal members is quite poor and the joints of the beams with hulls should carry some element of reinforcement, for example brackets.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I have struggled manfully to fathom what I am actually looking at in that picture, but it is a bit of a mystery to me.

5. schultzfactor

Thanks Tansl
    God to get someone actually interested in making a positive contribution. I will make an exact drawing of what I have done so far. The scantlings as you call them was a picture a little while back and I have continued the reinforcement significantly since then the structure is also fixed to the hulls, so they may look as though they are just wacked on top, but this is not the case. I have started fibreglassing the struts in place and have quilted the struts to the hulls with roving. I'll keep adding pictures despite the negative comments. Obviously there are folks with no vision on this forum. If we stopped doing things because of negative comments, we would never do anything.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Schultzfactor, I recommend you do not progress very quickly because the structure can have serious defects. I'm not saying it have them but there is always that possibility. I will be happy to advise you on structural issues that are of the few things I think I know a little.

7. schultzfactor

Picture of further reinforcing.

Attached Files:

8. schultzfactor

That is great thanks. I don't intend for this project to be done in a hurry and too quickly. Further advice would be awesome thanks.

9. schultzfactor

I have rovened all the joints and will fibreglass the whole internal structure with chopped strand. My big fear is turning it over before the outer fibreglass hull sheath is done as this should add heaps of strength. But in order to do the tunnel, outer skin and fibreglassing... I have to turn it over.

Attached Files:

10. Mr Efficiency

OK mate, your boat isn't a dog's breakfast, it just looks like one. It may all hold together in one piece, but to no avail if the shape is all wrong, which is impossible to gauge looking at the pics.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you do not have drawings, you should stop for a while and make them. If it's okay for you, once made sketches, attache them to your next post and we can advise you. The truth is that what is guessed from the photos you've attached not seem quite right, but can be arranged, possibly.
    You should, firstly, assemble the structure of transverse and longitudinal elements to form a body itself. Then you can flip and place linings, etc.

12. schultzfactor

Will do, I do have plans so will figure a way to scan them and upload.

13. schultzfactor

GOP Update

After building up the Sterns of the pontoons, I have sheathed in Marine ply and Glassed over with 400/200 double Bias Chopped Strand.

Now the hard work fairing begins. IMG_0299.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  14. Mr Efficiency

She is different, isn't she ? Were there ever any plans drawn, at all ?

15. schultzfactor

Plans

Yep I drew them by Hand on my old school drawing board. I took some pictures and can upload them if you are interested.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.