Glen-L or Clark Craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by indyillini, Dec 15, 2009.

1. indyillini

indyillini New Member

I am a beginning boatbuilder and was wondering about whose plans are better Glen-L or Clark Craft. I was looking to build a 16 ft plywood powerboat.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Glen L has mostly his own, plus the addition of Ken Hankinson's...clark craft is a clearing house of different designs and designers. The plans are as the designers drew them...meaning that various designers are more detailed than others. I haven't heard much against either place and plenty for. I would not hesitate to use either if you find a plan that is to your liking. Comparing two plans that are similar is concept would entail a study of both...probably the purchase of both plans to compare them side by side. The cost of the plans is only a tiny fraction of the total cost of getting on the water so investing in 2 or 3 different sets shouldn't be a hardship. You can always re-sell the unused plans at a later time and recoup some of your money back.

3. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I bought my Hartley trimaran plans form clarke craft after an unpleasant experience with hartley and brooks. CC did what they said they would and I am a happy customer, but it was made clear from the start the plans are unsupported.

As said either would be a good choice, depending on the design you choose.

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

26 or so years ago I built a Clark Craft Drift boat. It was pretty easy, as I'd built Drift boats in the past.
    I now belong to the Glen-L forum.
    I would recommend Glen-L for the experience and support on that forum for all thier products.

I would add that I'm pretty happy with the Lewis boat design of a small boat he did for me.

5. Elmo

Elmo Junior Member

Sad to hear that about Hartley plans.

When Richard was alive , the back up was very good.

6. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Yes, from what I have heard Mr hartley was a true gentleman, but whoever is running that business now needs a lesson in customer service, particularly since the website promises backup.

I wasn't asking for much, the study plans I bought arrived sans materials list and I asked if one should have been included. I got abuse for my trouble. I bought the full set from CC and lo! the materials list was there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.