a gary dierking tamanu

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by eric raguckis, Feb 10, 2011.

1. eric raguckis

eric raguckis Junior Member

Has anyone out there built a boat from gary, and if so did it go together well and sail good. I am looking for a good first boat to build to get my feet wet.
    thanks eric raguckis

2. MastMonkey

MastMonkey Junior Member

Eric,

I am about halfway through a 24' version of Gary's Wa'Apa design. The construction of the Wa'Apa is similar to the Tamnu it sounds like. It really is an easy boat to build. I would also add that the couple of times I had questions Gary was very forthcoming. He post here occasionally as well.

3. eric raguckis

eric raguckis Junior Member

very nice thanks for your correspondence, this will be my first build with a boat and looking forward to it. any pictures of your progress would be nice. I will post mine when i start. You are my only response sweet and thank you for your time, but is there a different post to what i am referring my questions that more people are interested . thank you, eric raguckis

. know one else seems to be interested ?

4. rcwade

rcwade New Member

Just got the book and plan on building a Wa-Apa with the higher freeboard of 24" for the trimiran. Mine will be a 3 part boat which is bolted together for storage reasons.

5. NavArch Student

NavArch Student Junior Member

I was hoping to build a smaller version of these. Does anyone know how stable they are under sail?

6. rcwade

rcwade New Member

Depends on your sailplan, but the ones I've seen have been fairly stable. With the double outriggers even more so. If you get a chance check out Dan St. Gene's build on Wikiproa

7. MastMonkey

MastMonkey Junior Member

If stability is your biggest concern then you will probably prefer the double outriggers and a tacking setup. The proa versions with one outrigger can easily be caught aback capsizing you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.