gaff cutter

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by peter radclyffe, Nov 4, 2010.

1. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

i love the ketch.
    i wish i will be wealthy, and have this vessel built, and live aboard for the rest of my life.
    been burn with me inside when i am dead, so nobody can have it.

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

we can fit it out like we built patience in honduras mahogany larry

[​IMG]

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Egoist......

4. peter radclyffe

teak hull planking, deck, hatches, skylights, cockpit, doghouse, floorboards, rails,

[​IMG]

5. peter radclyffe

liberally coated with bronze fittings & fastenings

6. peter radclyffe

[​IMG]

7. peter radclyffe

[​IMG]

8. peter radclyffe

[​IMG]

9. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

I have cement and rock crusher balls internal ballast in a much shallower 23 ton displacement hull form and yes, it does work. 2O tons of lead costs what it costs no matter if its shot or pigs, just seems like 10 on the outside would be a good idea as lead is easy to cast.
    I've done smaller jobs with a cast iron bathtub for a melting pot and big ones just require more bathtubs and workers. Cement and iron aren't nearly as heavy per cubic foot so require a good bit more space in bilges. The steep deadrise and internal structure limit internal room down low. There's a pinky schooner here with similar approach, steep d/rise, internal ballast, and she's very tender initially, even with a light rig, and sails at a steep angle of heel, which is not good for making the lines do what was intended.
    Yes, the overhang is a problem in a bad seaway. It's strictly a yachting racing thing developed in the late 19th century on big racing cutters to get the mainsheet aft and give unrated waterline when heeled. This is not something designed to improve seaworthiness, but speed and function in racing under certain rule sets. Makes a lovely hull and fabulous sheer though and definitely improves sailing performance under moderate conditions.
    Most vessels designed by their bad working sea conditions tend to have short ends.
    "For your life, take no overhang offshore." -Joshua Slocum
    He was speaking of the excessive racing yachts of the 1890s. A moderate overhang gives great reserve buoyancy and deck space.

1 person likes this.
  10. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Very high standard of build, beautiful. Congratulations on finding a client who knows what good work is and is willing to pay for it. Again beautiful.

11. peter radclyffe

yeah i know all this, but this boat is primarily for light weather, i have designed other boats for rough weather, the biggest problem in bad weather is the long overhang renders the steering less effective

12. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Gorgeous boats Peter. I love wooden boats...especially ones with nice sails. If you want help digitizing a hull I can help as well.

13. peter radclyffe

thanks, for the moment ,no

14. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Totally agree. The rudder gets too close to turning center and water leverage against counter overcomes rudder force at times.

15. peter radclyffe

this happened with some ' rulebeater' fishing boats in england in the 1990's, the rule was
    the length of boat was measured from sterpost to stem, so some boats were built with long overhangs aft, fine in good weather, dangerous in bad, these were much worse as the overhang was below the waterline

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.