Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by messman, Aug 7, 2010.

1. messman

messman Junior Member

I am thinking about using a three tank system to maintain good weight distrubution of my fuel. I am looking at using 24 gal starboard and port tanks which will gravity feed a 12 gal below deck tank which will fuel my 90 hp O/B, giving me 60 gal of fuel capacity. This will be gasoline, with all tank locations vented.

My questions are:

Is this a good idea?
    Have any of you done something like this?
    What are the possible draw backs?
    What are the benefits of this?

Thanks
    Chris

2. J3

J3 Junior Member

It may be silly, but I've always wanted to have a reserve tank. I've never had one in a small boat (to prevent stranding from the stupidity factor... or a broken gas gauge.) My small boats have always had a single belly-mounted tank. Electrical is easy to have redundancy. That leaves fuel. So I'll be following this thread as I had only considered a switch + transfer mechanism. (I'd prefer to be able to choose a tank in case of contamination. On second thought, real world that would probably lead to stale fuel...)

This thread from last year is on topic:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/gas-engines/whats-best-way-tie-2-fuel-tanks-together-28295.html

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I use 3 tote tanks along side each other and simply swap the hose when ever i want , Simple straight forward and no hassles !.Each tank has its own gauge just need one hose and all fittings are interchangeable . Have a glass bowled filter with a element plus the filter on the motor and most important bigger diameter hoses than whats recomended .
    If theres ever likely to be a blockage it will be at the fitting at the tank end thats the smallest holes in the whole system .Being tote tanks they can be removed and checked regularly for any sort of gung and muck and cleaned out real easy .
    I carry close to 70 litres to feed my 115 yamaha on my 14.6 boat !!
    My theory is simple is best . My boat gets lots of use and goes like stink and in some hairy situations so its got to be reliable and trouble free as possible . :p

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would simply go with two side tanks. You get the stability and reduce the complexity and number of fittings. Most fuel leaks occur at the fitttings. fewer fittings, less chance of leaks. Just feed the lines to a T and then to the Engine. You will need a shut off valve for each tank though. By the way, how are they gravity feed? Gasoline fuel tanks cannot have openings below the top of the tank. No openings on the bottom or sides allowed. So how are you going to suck the fuel from them? You can't just let them drain out the bottom. Each tank will need a fuel pickup mounted on top the tank. Each has to have a fill and a vent.

Actually this set up is very common so look around for boats that have side tanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.