Freshwater Only

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Buckie, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Buckie

Buckie Junior Member

I've seen an ad for a boat with the notice Freshwater use only, I'm a bit stummped here, is there a diference in hull make up ?

2. ned L

ned L Junior Member

No difference in construction. "Fresh water" boats, or those which have spent their lives in fresh water, are generally perceived as being in better condition than their salt water lived counterparts. This is due to the lack of the corrosive effects of the salt. Raw water cooled engines in salt water can have their useful lives reduced to as little as 6 to 8 years due to corrosion & salt build up. The cosmetics are usually in better condition on fresh water boats as well (esp. aluminum & chrome accessories).
    For wooden boats, it is a bit of a double edged sword as salt water boats typically have less rot issues (esp. below the water line).

3. Buckie

Buckie Junior Member

Thanks for that, it was basically what I thought, a boat is a boat and can go anywhere. I didn't know about the freshwater looking after boats though. cheer's.
    I was also wondering why boats (yacht) even at today’s rates are far more cheaper in the USA, and if purchased there can they be transferred to the UK without too much trouble ?

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

1. Ten times the competition we encounter in Europe.
    2. Too often shabby quality.
    3. Buyers market, models change as often as my bedlinen(ja jah..),so does customers gusto.

Transportation is easy to manage ask the pro´s:

http://www.gbs-germany.com/

Vat has to be paid at entry.

Regards
    Richard

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you can put it into a 40 foot container its cheap. If you can not then it is expensive,--really expensive.

6. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Buckie,
    When you compare prices for used boats you have to consider the environment they've been in. Where I live, a five year old boat is almost "new"; not even neglected maintenance will have had any major effect. The climate is cold, and the boat will have rested on land during winter.

Keep the same boat for five years continuously in the sea under the Florida sun and you have a much different situation.

Nowadays I understand that you also need EU-certification for the boat if you want to sell it within EU. This is a problem when importing boats privately from the US.

Erik

7. Buckie

Buckie Junior Member

Many Thanks