freeboard

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by idham58, Jun 20, 2011.

1. idham58

idham58 Junior Member

hi,

i have question regards on the freeboard, is freeboard term used in naval ship such as frigate?

this question trigger on my mind after i have read on the some reference book which mention the load line rules cannot being applied on naval ship.

i have been understnd that the freeboard height is the height measure from summer load water line to the upper most deck (i.e main deck).

i want to make this clear as i need to use it for scantling calculation by using LR Rules for naval ship. the initial stage of scantling is to find the infomation of ship particular including the freeboard height.

have one of u expert on this?
    please guide me.

thanks.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

All depends on the contract, but the freeboard is normally from the Normal Load of Full Load Waterline to the lowest point on the lowest continuious deck with permanent closures to prevent downflooding (i.e. the freeboard deck.) In modern frigates, this is normally the main deck because of engine room sizes.

Load lines such as those used in mercantile service are not used for warships, but warships are still issued tonnage documents for fee calculations, normally by their sovereign state and D&O curves which list the maximum load line/condition.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.