Free!Ship Design Help 5.5 Planning Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RoBoT6779, Jul 21, 2013.

1. RoBoT6779

RoBoT6779 Junior Member

Hence this is my question. Why do I??? I know it shouldn't.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

We need someone who is au fait with the intricacies of the program, but it does sound like as you say, a key step is missing. Someone will come along and set you right about the procedure hopefully.

3. RoBoT6779

RoBoT6779 Junior Member

Cheers for all of your comments.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I use Rhino rather than Free!Ship but I'll try to help.

I'm guessing that to create the bottom surface in FS you first created curves representing the keel and chine. Is that correct? If so, what was the next step in creating the surface?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Did you click the "Developable" box in the Layers Properties menu before creating the surface?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  6. quequen

quequen Senior Member

RoBo, post your file here and we'll take a look. Distort it slightly before, so you don't need to care about authorship.
    I think your problem is that you need each surface into a diferent layer to be able to develop, but having the file will make things easier.

7. RoBoT6779

RoBoT6779 Junior Member

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

No sign of that being other than a straight section vee, so something has gone awry. It would be nice if you could build in plate to that shape, certainly get a better ride than the developable shape which doesn't cut that well.

9. jarmo.hakkinen

jarmo.hakkinen Junior Member

To get a developable surface, first set mode in perspective window to 'developability check', then set incremental distance to 0.01 or even smaller to fine tune the model. In some other window select a point in area of interest (red area in developability check), and move it around with arrow keys. You'll soon see where to move the points, that aren't defining developable surface. Every now and then select Tools>Develop plates, and check for the edge and area errors. Modify as necessary. That's done in model 5.4v1.fbm attached.

If you need conical shapes for some reason, the edges of the controlnet should be arranged to follow 'ruling lines' of the surface desired, as in model 5.4v2.fbm.

Greetings, Jarmo

Attached Files:

10. quequen

quequen Senior Member

RoBo, Jarmo has pointed some good solutions. You are facing some Freeship limitations that can be partially handled using some tricks.
    Totally flat regions of your plates are better solved using triangles rather than quadrilaterals in the controlnet. But you should use them only on the totally flat regions. Your file attached

Attached Files:

11. RoBoT6779

RoBoT6779 Junior Member

Awesome stuff guys. I was excited to open Quequen's and Jarmo's files but it seems they are saved in a newer version of FREE!SHIP. I've had a look for an updated version, but have only found attacking malware. The version I have is 3.30+.
    I think Jarmo has provided the answer I'm looking for in 5.4V2 by using a conical shape. The use of ruling lines in the design shape is what I'm looking for. If I was to draw the shape manually I would have ruling lines and apex points. If anyone has a good safe link for the newest version that would be appreciated along with all the great help so far.

12. RoBoT6779

RoBoT6779 Junior Member

To answer Dcockley's question, of how I started the hull. I used the prompts for creating a new design with 3 control points. Made a crease at the middle (chine) control points. Then manipulated the control points to create 5.4V1.

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Can Free!Ship be used to "automatically" generate a developable surface, or does the user need to manipulate the surface until it is sufficiently close to "developable"?

15. HJS

HJS Member

No, the program has to "know" wich way to roll the plate.
    the user need to manipulate the surface until it is sufficiently close to "developable"
    js

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.