Free Boat Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mckruger, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Mckruger

Mckruger Junior Member

Hi All, I have had a real hard time getting free boat plans on the net and have decided to draw a few basic hull designs that include tugboats, v-hulls, etc. 6 in total. The templates are based on stitch and glue construction and alows for composite curves using flat building materials such as marine ply. Any one interested can contact me at mcronje@legacyhotels.co.za and I will forward a pdf copy of the template. The scale is in mm and can be enlarged to whatever size you want.
    Regards,
    Mckruger:)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are hundreds of designs on line for free, so you assertion about not finding them isn't valid. Second what are your qualifications for yacht design? And more importantly, will you accept responsibility if one of your designs is found flawed and causes injury? Can any of your designs pass commercial certification? EU? USCG? ABYC?

3. Caldera

Caldera Junior Member

Who cares if they pass any certs?? And why the hell would he listen to you? People have been building boats WAY before any of your so called "qualifications" ever existed.
    Build what you want and have fun doing it..

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

There's a difference between building for fun, and offering plans for other people to build from. That entails a quaint little concept we like to call 'responsibility'...

Are you an old member with a chip on your shoulder who was thrown off for flaming, and sneaked back aboard under a new user name? Or are you a noob, who just happens to like being incredibly rude to strangers?

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

If they are free just post them on this website!

At least the basics.

"People have been building boats WAY before any of your so called "qualifications" ever existed."

Yeah, but today we don't have lots of ships and boats going missing for unknown reasons like we used to, and I'd imagine the statistics for un-certified plans and builds going bad VS certified are a good argument in favor of the Nanny State.

Reminds me of my neighbor (master house carpenter) building a speed boat of his own design. It looked real good and well made, but when he was outfitting it he was informed by some real boat guys it was a death trap.

So he went with a 20hp outboard instead of planned 150hp.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

I think these are *model* boat plans from 'scale to whatever size' and his post in the other thread

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK, now this thread makes sense. I thought it was a rather cavalier approach towards design, taking what he said strictly at face value.... he must be used to posting in model forums.;)

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Well said Troy.

The OP may be well intentioned but...............................!

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, I missed the mm designation as well, my apologies Mckruger. In my defense, we often get new posters that "have designed a 30 m yacht" and want to know how much draft it should have or if 1/2" plywood for the bottom planks is suitable and other ridiculousness. After many years building and studying I find it insulting. I suspect on home built aircraft forums they have the same thing; "hey, I've designed a 4 passenger, single engine, mid wing, can someone tell me a good average wing length that will work?" My reply might be similar, then again I could just suggest 20' and let them learn the hard way.

Post some pictures of your creations . . .

10. Mckruger

Mckruger Junior Member

Hi Par, I am not claiming to be a professional at all and I find your comments insulting. I went out to sea at the age of ten ( before you were born) on a home built steel boat of a guy who had no so called boat building qualifications and by the way he built about six of these steel ski-boats with inboards, that were all sea worthy. The one that I went out with had a straight 8 Buick engine built in. At the age of 16 I had my own deep sea fishing boat, which was a converted double layer wooden life boat with a 6 cylinder chevy truck engine, that we installed ourselves. The fish we caught was delivered to Irvin & Johnson. If you read my first thread and my profile, you will realise that I am not competition for you "professionals" so get off your high horse and let others also enjoy the forums. By the way, I accept your apology. I just want to state out of principle that if the above comments from all the so called "professionals" is an example of how you guys treat newcomers to this website, I will rather look at joining another one.

1 person likes this.
  11. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The original post is at best incomplete and at worse very misleading. I would not answer it because I have no clue as to the OP's real intention. It is a good example (actually much better than a lot of them) of an incomplete question that leaves anyone responding to make up their own mind about what is being meant. At face value it seems to about full size boats and MM dimensions are often used for those, so that is no clue. If it is about model boats, that should have been stated and I doubt that even Paul would have responded sharply so the real responsibility for the misunderstanding rests with the OP.

The internet is, at the same time, both the best and the worse communication medium.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Before you get bent out of shape, Mckruger, maybe you should consider that you didn't specifically say you were talking about plans for models. Which made your post sound like those boatdesign.net gets occasionally from idiot amateurs, who join the forum thinking that being able to draw a picture qualifies them to design a boat.

I doubt PAR is particularly worried about that sort of 'competition'...:)

13. Mckruger

Mckruger Junior Member

Boat Plans

Just as I thought!! Those who are the quickest to critisize can't take critisism themselves. So for that matter you guys can keep your forum.

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hey Mckruger, don't give up so easily! Misunderstandings can happen. ;)
    Cheers!

15. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Hey Mckruger - go rinse that sand out of your P***y....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.