Fountain 35ft hull project.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Zane, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Zane

Zane Junior Member

Because i have only the bottom hull and want to build a wooden deck... It's not gonna look anything like a fountain except for the bottom.
    Did u see the first post?

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I went looking for direct weight comparisons of flush deck tp center cockpit. The deck may actually be lighter as a box structure than the frames to stiffen the sides in the cc liner version. Alas there is no apple to apple in the current fountain lineup.
    The Fountain 31CC is the longest narrow beam center console at 8' 4" 5800lbs.
    The 32CC has a beam of 9'-6" displacement 8800 lbs.
    The 34CC Fountain has a 9' 6" beam displacement 10000 lbs.

To make the most of this, the console will have to pick up the look of the wood veneer hull. With the sheer meeting the waterline at the transom, there is some room to make it look different than a stock fountain there too.

3. Zane

Zane Junior Member

FMS thanx for your findings.... but am still leaning more towards the sporty side of a design.

For example... this boat here. I kinda like its windshield and was trying to imagine it on the fountain... made out of wood or carbon fiber.

The theme will be mahogany, carbon fiber and stainless steel.

Attached Files:

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

I did see the first post thank you, and your description of a "poop deck" too. I see by your thumbnail you took my advice, happy to be helpful.

Steve

5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Just as an aside... what is that boat in the pic? Difficult to tell from the small pic, but it appears to have a fair bit of hook in the bottom...

7. Zane

Zane Junior Member

FMS ya i checked his work out... very nice stuff and definitely got some nice ideas going on!

Will... Its a rivena i think... just a concept drawing. Cant u click the pic to enlarge?

Ill post a pic soon at where I'm at with this project.. I think i decided to go with bikini on deck rather than fish guts :D

ill post a pic soon to show where I'm at..

Cheers
    Zane

8. Zane

Zane Junior Member

Heres couple photos of the honey comb deck supports... then the motor stringers will come next.

Attached Files:

9. Zane

Zane Junior Member

Hey guys... a quick question... From what i see, many fountain 35 come with a staggered engine config... and some come standard. not sure maybe executioner vs lightning but anyways... What is the pros and cons to staggered vs non staggered?

Do you recommend i stagger mines or not? The only reason i would not want to stagger them is to gain a lil more cockpit space.

Wot do u guys say?

Thanx in advance

10. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

A major plus of staggered is much better access to service the engines. With side by side, try changing a starter on the starboard engine under the exhaust manifolds. Even changing the spark plugs can be a knuckle breaker and arm scraper on many side by side twins. Staggered gives much better access.

I'd look for that hull rigged staggered and twin to see what the weight distribution does to the hull's handling.

Staggered with drives closer together can give a mph or two at high speeds in the 80-90 range.

Non-staggered with drives normally spaced makes docking easier.

11. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Staggered may be less susceptible to chine walking with some hulls.

This boat should turn heads! Post more pics as you get into it, please :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.