Forward Rudder steering ...what do you know?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pistnbroke, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Still working on convertine my $120 jetski possibly into a prop driven inboard ...it would be so easy to put a shaft thro the hull to a forward rudder with jetski style handle bars on the top ...any one done this ..I assume it woud be sensitive and only need a small blade ...the notski is 2.7m long and weighs 100kg dry.

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Bad idea. A forward mounted rudder will cause roll out in a turn. Just think about it.

Consider turning to starboard. The bow of the jetski moves to starboard by the force on the rudder. The CofG wants to keep going straight. CoG is much higher than the force applied to the rudder. Boat rolls to port. This is roll away from the turn with tendency toward complete roll. Tolerable at low speed possibly but not a nice feeling.

The stern mounted rudder works the opposite way causing roll into the turn. This is much better and the only way to do it if you are doing any speed.

Rick W

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well thanks for that //for $120 I have had more brain ace than the price demands ~!!!!! thanks for your advice !!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.