flying dutchman centre board

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by janetjohnson, Jan 24, 2009.

1. janetjohnson

janetjohnson New Member

i have just purchased an :) old flying dutchman and am restoring it to it's former glory,currently the centreboard is a dagger type set up but judging by the length of the slot it should be a swinging centreboard.this would be preferable as the river i sail in is shallow in spots.does any know of any design plans available that may be able help me cheers

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

no, but when you have her sailing can I be Forward hand? remember Helmer Pederson, google him

3. janetjohnson

janetjohnson New Member

just to clear up any confusion Janet is my wife and i use her email address and she acts as my filter for spam and unwanted stuff etc. i am Derro and i am resurrecting the flying dutchman Janet is my crew and a very good one.together we were club champions in 2005 mono hulls at the Augusta Yacht Club Western Australia we were sailing a GP14 and it was Janets first year at sailing.sorry whoosh the position of forward hand is well and truly taken.please drop in and say hello if you are ever in Augusta and have sail with me . cheers Derro.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

From the FD rules:
    http://www.sailfd.org/pdf/2007/fdcr2007A5.pdf

50. Centreboard
    50.1 The shape of the under hull part of the centreboard, in its lowest position, must conform to the equivalent part of the full size Mylar plan. With the leading edge fully up against the line of the Mylar plan, within a tolerance of maximum 3 mm for local gaps, the tolerance is plus or minus 6 mm on the bottom and trailing edges and on the curves at the bottom of the centreboard. A stop must be fitted on the centreboard to prevent it from being lowered farther than a maximum of 1060 mm under the hull. The use and position of a centreboard bolt, notch or holes are optional.
    50.2. The weight of the complete centreboard must not be less than a minimum of 5.50 kg.
    50.3. Thickness of the under hull part of the centreboard must not exceed a maximum of 23.0 mm.
    50.4. It must be possible to raise the centreboard into its case by rotating it so that the leading edge of the centreboard is close to and approximately parallel to the keel line. When it is fully or partly lowered, no part of the centreboard shall be aft of the extension of that part of the trailing edge that is below the hull.

See diagram in page 28.

Cheers.

5. janetjohnson

janetjohnson New Member

thankyou Guillermo for the info on fd centre board,very much appreciated .now i can get on with work needed to get the old beauty back in the water and winning again cheers derro(see previous post relating to janet and derro .

6. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

You're welcome, Derro.
    Beautiful boat. Enjoy it.

Cheers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.