Floor thickness?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by milo12, Apr 1, 2015.

1. milo12

milo12 Junior Member

What is a ballpark estimate for floor thickness? I am referring to total thickness between the first floors ceiling and the second floors floor.

I figure there has to be room for HVAC, electrical, plumbing etc. Of course the through holes for running all this must not compromise the structure but I also don't want to be too conservative in my initial estimates because that just adds structure and cost for no reason.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

In residential construction floors are supported by floor joists which are beams.

These are 2 x 6 up to 2 x 12 and if span charts show a larger support is needed then solid beams are used, or glu-lam beams or floor trusses. span charts identify the type of
    lumber, the grade of lumber and how far a beam will span, what weight it will carry based on their spacing. Can you describe to us what your trying to design? Also if this is a boat then the FLOOR is called the SOLE.

3. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

> between the first floors ceiling and the second floors floor...

Need to know more about the boat to even hazard a guess. What size boat - what is the span - what load will be up there - what material?

4. milo12

milo12 Junior Member

I know it is a dumb question but I was wondering if there was some obvious reason for the floor to thick. I ask because I have been looking at the setsail site studying the Fpb series of boats. In the construction photos it looks like the floor/ceiling is at least 2 feet thick.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not for nothing, but you'll need to provide a lot more information about what you're attempting to. For starters, how about the make, model and year of the actual boat. There's no "set" thicknesses to offer you, as designs are application specific and each will be different depending on several criteria and the loads they must endure.

6. nzboy

nzboy Senior Member

I guess in some ways boat building is like house building when doing internal framing in boats with single level 2in by 2in wood batten sometime doubled up around hatches was normal on 1metre quads with12mm ply sometime 18mm . Joist levels on 2 level boats are 4 inchs 1 metre apart then battens 2in 50cm apart .In aluminium you see much the same Setsail I see no different what you don't know is thickness and shape of aluminium The only space I saw was in their great room which has a 5 metre span so yes you need something around 200mm because above that is the control room .We used to just cold mould 25mm ply with curvature for 3 metre saloon roof take the moulds away then stick a fly bridge on it no one came back

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.