Floor/motor mount for 14' open bow aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by basenjib123, Jun 23, 2006.

1. basenjib123

basenjib123 New Member

Hello all, I just found this forum and I am excited and eager to learn from what looks to be a great source of information! I have a 14' open bow aluminum Starcraft boat. This boat has flooring with the exception of the very front section at the bow area. I would like to add a floor section there using either the same material (material there now seems to be some sort of composite material, I do not know what or where to get it..it appears factory installed). Also, I have a foot operated electric motor and battery that I would like to install at the bow. I need a mounting surface for the electric motor and a place to secure a battery. I guess you could say I am looking to turn my open V-Bow into a 'Bass Fishing boat'. I sure would appreciate any ideas, opinions, sources, etc. Thanks in advance, Joe

2. im412

im412 Junior Member

3. ducknuts

ducknuts Junior Member

If you do a search for modifying a jon boat you get all kinds of info on doing this. My boat already had this done when I got it, they built a platform on top of the front seat that extended back about eight inches off the back of the seat and four inches in front, then screwed it to the top edges of the seat. Next they built a triangular piece that fit between the front of the platform and the inside of the bow, attached it with hinges to the platform and it rests on the inside of the vee at the front, basically wedging it in place with a piece of rope for a handle.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.