Flat bottom Catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sunsburydotcom, Jun 9, 2009.

1. sunsburydotcom

sunsburydotcom Junior Member

I have been trying to find a flat bottom catamaran plan. but every one has rockers or v bottom. My goal is to have a flat bottom so I will be able to cruse the shallow rivers in Ohio. We are planing a trip down the Muskingum River it is 112 miles long and we need a shallow draft boat. Hopefully less then 6" and I'm keeping it under 14 ft long so I don't need a title. Here is my design I hope there is no copyright infrengment. I have built 1 boat in my life it was a 1 sheet ply boat. Any pointers would be great.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I don't see anything inherently "bad" with your design. It might take a hefty motor to get it planning and you could stand to narrow it by a foot or so but otherwise It should do what you are planning if you build it right.

3. sunsburydotcom

My plan is to use 1/2" ply with 9.OZ fiberglass cloth on the bottom of the pontoons and 3/8" ply on the sides with 9.OZ fiberglass cloth. Then apply 2 more coats of epoxy for the finish. I have been reading a lot of difrent stuff and see that some have been useing 6.OZ cloth. I'm not sure how to determine what size ply or glass to use. I will have my ribs spaced at 24" O/C and They will 1"X3" Screwed and epoxyed toghter. Hard chin and a center stringer 1"x6" on the bottom I would also like to know if any one knows how much epoxy is takes after I have my fiberglass wet out done? If there is over kill in this plane don't fell bad about telling me.

4. sunsburydotcom

I guess it is not a true catamaran

5. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

Why a catamaran?

Is there a particular reason you want to use a catamaran design? I only ask because a true catamaran does not lend itself to very shallow water operation due inherently to the fact that it is missing part of the hull that adds floatation. Catamarans are known for a smooth ride and stability, but not for shallow-water operation. There are modified catamaran-type boats such as the Flatscat that will run extremely shallow, but at rest do not float as shallow as a similar-sized typical flat-bottom monohull. If truly shallow boat operation is your goal, your best bet is a flat-bottomed hull. If you will be building a powerboat and are adventurous, you can add a pocket tunnel for shallower operation, but that takes some know-how. A jet may get you even shallower, but will cost you power, efficiency and problems in weedy/sandy areas. If you need improved sea-keeping, consider a Panga-style hull, or something like a Chiquita. These are narrowish boats that have flat bottom sterns for shallow operation and high pointed bows to cut the waves.

6. sunsburydotcom

Maybe not a true catamaran

I'm going with the multi hull for room in the cabin. I need the 8'-6" for sleeping and don't want to have a 8 ft wide hull. I can go longer but not sure what I need to do to get a title. I live in ohio and under 14 ft all I have to do is register it. The trip we are going on will be a week long float/sail trip, though I have never sailed in my life. We will be useing a 9 hp outboard not to concerned about speed to much.

7. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Drop me an email, it would be very easy to turn one of our aluminium cats into a ply construction and change the bottom shape.

info (at) ctmd.com.au

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.