first timer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by snow 57, Jan 8, 2007.

1. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Hi folks,
    I have joined the forum in the hope I can make contact with some people who can help. I am designing a 12m cat and have maxsurf for my design program. I've been practicing for a couple of months with the manuals but have come to a wall in a few areas.
    I don't understand if the surfaces must all be bonded or can they just be nested together. I've tried to do this but getting them to be the same is difficult.
    Does the program dismiss the trimmed surfaces for testing?
    Do I need to have a finished design for testing, the manuals seem to suggest not, but I would like to.

As you can see there are a lot of areas I need to talk about so if you can /would like to help I"m ready.

Cheers guy's and looing forward to some interaction,
    Snow

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Snow,

Sorry I cannot help with your problem. I just wanted to say welcome.

Take care.

TGoz

3. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Hi TG,
    thanks for the reply. I'll be logging in regularly for a while so may be we will chat
    Snow

4. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

What do you mean with testing?

Maxsurf consider trimming both when calculating hydrostatics and areas. I find that hydrostatics is correct also if I don't bond surfaces

Mikey

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Snow 57 Welcome, bond surfaces if you want a continuous connection between surfaces, say, hull to deck joint or some keel joins or in the case of a chine where the two surfaces have the same longitudinal curvature but different transverse curvature. Other surfaces like cabin, keels, etc with different curvature and control points are usually placed then trimmed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.