First build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by reddae, Mar 21, 2011.

1. reddae

reddae New Member

Ok, so I am currently deployed for OEF, I have decided that when I get home I am going to start building a boat for a project to keep me busy and hopefully have a decent craft to use for fishing and recreation when I am done. I have been looking at hull designs and weighing those against when I want to do, here is what I have come up with.

I am thinking I am going to make a tunnel bottom boat with a flat deck that I can fish off of, my wife can lay out on, and my dog can walk around on. I will build the frame out of wood and use s-glass woven cloth and polyester resin from US Composites to form the shell. I am not sure what kind of motor to put on it, maybe just a trolling motor or a low horsepower motor. I don't really need it to be fast. If any controls are installed I will put the console just forward of the center line to offset the weight of the motor. as far as the size goes, I am thinking 6 feet wide and maybe 10 to 15 feet long.

This will be my first experience in designing and building a boat, but hopefully it will work out at least half-way decent. Again, it will be used for fishing and recreation.

Is this at least a decent idea or should I consider a better hull design? Any pointers would be great, I will be home in a couple months and want to jump right in to it.

2. reddae

reddae New Member

Looking at motors, if I do an outboard I don't need any controls and I can just put a seat up front with the whole middle open for whatever I choose.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

S glass is expensive , tight woven and not the best stuff for a homebuild small craft. ...e glass , woven and stitched is much cheaper, available, easy to work with and strong enough to handle any home build.

Do an Internet search for stitch and glue boats and you will find hundreds of pre engineered, stock designs. Many are well conceived, elegant and simple to build.

on Boatdesign net there are several well regarded small craft designers.

Further refine your requirements, then start a thread seeking input.

1 person likes this.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.