First Boat Build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DrFormula, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DrFormula

DrFormula New Member

I am trying to find plans for the below pictured boat(or similar design). This will be my first build. I have experience building furnishings with my father many years ago. This seems simple enough for a first build. Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi "Dr. Formula", welcome aboard :)

Looks like an APBA Stock Outboard racer, B-Runabout class if the race number is meaningful. I think they still race them- mostly teenagers, running 15-horse outboards. About as cheap as powerboat racing gets.

A neighbour of mine built a slightly larger version quite a few years ago, his can comfortably seat 2 people for ski towing. Glen-L (see KnutS link above) sells plans for these, as do several others. They're pretty simple, not quite as simple as a Bolger "instant boat" though. If you know how to measure a bevel properly and can cut an accurate compound mitre, a runabout like this should be fairly straightforward.

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Looks nice and must be a blast to run!

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Yeah, it's got to be a "B Utility Runabout". Saturdays around the country in the 1950's would see lots of these racing on lakes. That is a Mercury Hurricane rated at 10hp but actually more like 20 on the transom. I have a 1953 Merc Mark 20 rated at 16hp, but it's the same engine.

Here is a link to plans and photos of many of the actual racers from this period. I remember the one named "Dry Run". Most would have used Mercs with "Quicksilver" towers (lower units) but some had Martins or a few other brands. All were great fun to blast around the lake in when the water was not too rough. Go ahead and build one and keep us posted.

http://www.boatracingr11.com/Sorensen_boats/sorensen_classic_b.htm

Edited to add that Sorensen advises that these boats are only to be used in sanctioned races, which should give some idea of their "utility". Well, you've got to practice somewhere.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't recommend this boat (or any of the "class" hydro) as your first foray into boat building.

These boats are built very lightly, don't stay together very long (nor are they intended to) and can be dangerous in all but relatively calm lake conditions. They are about as a useful a boat as a sack full of hammers, so be forewarned. Also each class is rated for it's driver's weight, most being designed for kids, not adults. Weight is the key to their performance, the lighter the better. These boats are so light, you can easily put your foot right through them if you don't watch your step.

For example, a B class hydro is a 370 pound full up boat. Subtracting the boat (100 to 120 lbs.), the engine, fuel and controls (100 to 120 lbs.) you haven't much left for a well fed driver (130 to 160 lbs.) and don't even think about a cooler full of beer or fishing rods.

One wrong move in a turn or in some chop and you have splinters for a boat and hopefully you will not need a trip to the emergency room.

I'd recommend a slightly larger boat, such as the one shown (TNT by Glen-L). It's just about as impractical as a class hydro, but offers a fair bit more elbow room, you can take along Fidel the wonder dog and a cooler full of beer too. It's still a rough, quite wet ride, but fast, fun and easy to build.

[​IMG]

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Spoilsport:mad:

True enough and I'm remembering that I weighed about 135 in the 50's. A BU is not as strong as the general runabout but should not disintegrate in normal conditions. I remember whole regattas with no structural breakage. Glen l's little boats make more sense as playthings though.

9. DrFormula

DrFormula New Member

Play thing

That is exactly what I wanted it for. Both as a fun project and something my teen-aged kids and I could put around in. Thanks for all of the feed back. I have checked out Glen-L. Now I cannot decide between a runabout or a utility. I have found a few stitch-n-glue boats to choose from. The average build time was about 20-40 months. I think I could do it in 7-10. I get a lot of free time. I am currently in Iraq for at least three-four more months. I got here just after new years. I got the go-ahead from the boss(wife). Project begins one month after I get home. She has to get her "We" time before I lock myself in the garage. Thanks for all of the feed-back. I will keep you posted when this project begins.

Rod

10. PAR

Yea, I didn't weigh much when I fooled around in them either Tom. I remember having lightening holes in everything that didn't directly keep out water. I too can remember going a weekend maybe even two, without breaking something.

I think you'd have more fun with a slightly larger boat Rod. One where you could bring the kids, a picnic, a cooler full of sodas, the little woman and Fidel the wonder pooch. It can still be a light weight hot rod, just a more practical one, not to mention safer. These hydros are a solo ride.

11. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

These fellas were our modern day jetskis.

I played with one that ran a 125 Merc, forgive me Lord, I know not what I do.

Somehow many of us survived the ordeals, i guess if you want to be stupid like we were, go ahead and make one, like our racing bike days, we certainly would not be doing the same sort of things today, it hurts too much when things go wrong, and they do.

I would back PAR on this one mate, find a nice exciting day boat, where life can be shared with the family, unless you really have to go mental, so be it (we all understand anyhow, so don't feel bad about it)

12. PAR

Lubber, I think you misunderstand how small these things really are. If you toss a 125 on the back of a B class, you're going to sink. The motor weighs more then the boat, a lot more. Most of these where divided in to subdivisions of craziness, 10 through 30 HP based on class, driver age, experience in the class, etc. I do have to admit I managed to bolt a really hot 40 HP Mercury on the butt of a 15 HP boat once. I'm sure I was doing over 80 MPH in a 9' boat and I was to young to be scared. I'm just grateful I couldn't keep the motor hung on that old gal or I'd have killed myself. I remember having to lean way over the helm, onto the foredeck to keep the boat from swamping, until I nailed the throttle. Damn it was fun . . .

13. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Rod,

If you decide to cave in to the sanity of Lubber and PAR, may I suggest that Phil Bolger's "Diablo" is at least worth a look. 15 feet LOA, taped-seam plywood construction, and she will comfortably and safely carry 5 people and a cooler in any weather you'd want to be out in. Yet she has the narrow, flat running surface of an outboard racer, is remarkably stable at speed, turns on a dime, can pull a 200lb waterskier with 25-30 hp, and will go like a bat out of hell with a good engine and prop. (Really- this boat is crazy fast when running light.) The traditional open look is not mandatory- she can be fitted with a deck and remote steering if you so choose.

(Link: http://www.instantboats.com/diablo.htm )