Finding trim and mean wetted length-beam ratio using Savisky's method

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Brynjaminjones, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hi Brynjaminjones,
    I see that you go on the heaviest way to receive the final output. There is faster and light. I can help you. Look my e-mail in the tread “New Flamingo”.

2. Brynjaminjones

Brynjaminjones Junior Member

I'm a fool!! I had forgotten that by default Excel works in Radians!

It hardly made a difference to my trim angles, but it has got my Thrust 100% correct! Now I just need to fiddle with the power calculation to get that looking right.

I feel like a right idiot!

3. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hi,
    If you have made try to see at my publication in this site likely would see that program Orca3D can successfully cope with your problem for few minutes. There are two alternatives:
    1. If you have computer model separately on what programs make IGES file and transfer in program Rhinoceros. Orca3D works as plug-in in Rhino. If you do not have access you can try the temporary version. There is a function for accounts on hydrodynamics of a planing vessel on the method Daniel Savitsky.
    2. The second alternative is very fast. If you trust me in completely, you dispatch model - is possible in Rhino/3dm file/or IGES file on the address specified in the site. Accounts are done for 15 minutes, a maximum of half an hour. I shall help with pleasure and I shall consider as confidential.

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Rabah-In post no.3 of Bryn, he stated it is for a university project and he has to do it in Excel. That means also that he cannot use or submit any existing Excel spreadsheet or any sophisticated program. He has to device something himself and in order to do so, he must learn how to do it.

Bryn- if you post your work, maybe we can point you in the right direction and/or troubleshoot your spreadsheet. Maybe compare it with more sophisticated program available.

5. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hi All,
    I know three programs with hydrodynamic accounts on method Savitsky: Orca3D, MaxSurf Resistance and Free Ship+. My opinion is the following: the future engineer is necessary to study not only the theory but also how to cope with practical tasks and thus probably is faster with computer for the sake of the concurrence. Just so the teacher Victor Timoshenko from University in Nikolaev city - Ukraine is training his students. He is to founders of hydrodynamic programs in Free Ship +. His program is free and in miscellaneous languages including English. The computer is created to exempt the designer from unwieldy accounts. But I am as a rule never trusted only on one program, always I iterate account and on other, and sometimes and on one more to be convinced in final outputs. And in a smaller measure I am trusted to hand-operated accounts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.