Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Fiberglassing questions

Hi, so I'm on the tailend of the hull construction for a shanty boat, and now i'm at the stage where I should be looking for fiberglass options. In another post a few people pointed out that the way I've built it will be quite heavy (although many other designs seem like they would be equally heavy)
Basically its a 18ft by 7ft flat bottomed scow(ish) hull with a 2x4 frame with 3/8 exterior grade ply covering it all up. I have a couple of tubes of 3M 5200 to seal the seams of the ply, but I was told I should use epoxy so I think I'll go that way... Anyway I need to buy fibergalss cloth and epoxy soon so I thought you guys might like to help me out. I really don't understand the difference in terms of quality of say biaxal cloth vs woven roaming.... The base plans I was using suggest 10oz cloth but no mention of if I should be using multiple layers etc.
Any thoughts?
Thanks folks
Adam

p.s. I don't intend to use the boat on any waterway which isn't sheltered.... i.e. I'm basically planning on staying in the Rideau Canal and possibly a couple quick trips on the Lower Ottawa River (near Ottawa) So I'm fairly sure I'm ok in terms of hitting many underwater logs etc.

Last edited by BuildingaLemmy : 05-10-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: more info

Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Obsessed Member

Rep: 1600 Posts: 2,282
Check the last post in your other thread.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
I did but the post doesn't actually talk about what type of glass cloth to use or how many layers is sufficient.... basically I wanted to know if two layers of 6 oz is better than 1 layer of 12oz.... and id woven roving is better than say biaxle... or is a certain type of glass easier to work with?