fiberglass over steel?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boredman1, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

I don't get into very many of these discussions but I'll try to add a little.
    Relatively long experience in marine and industrial repair, in the marine world from basic repairs to reconstructions, lengthening projects, and new construction to 40 feet. In industrial work, fabricating and repair of piping, tank linings, and ventilation equipment.
    In both worlds I've had occasion to apply fiberglass to steal, stainless steel, lead, and aluminum and have had no failures outside of anticipated duty cycles for the intended application. I once fiberglassed a riveted aluminum boat telling the client that she could expect 5 to 7 years of daily use ( the boat was a commuter to and from an island ), the boat is still functioning at 16 years. Jobs such as the vacuum tank on a turd truck, steel fittings entering a fish hold, etc. all have been successful. I've been somewhat anal about prep and clean and will often use a premium ( I believe it to be premium ) vinyl ester as either the working resin or as a primer.
    I've removed linings that were subjected to very hostile conditions and have not seen much of the adverse affects of the permeability of the polyesters and vinyl esters that I've used.

Gerald

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, had many things going on over the last few days.

There aren't really any bad resins, they all have their place where they can work well, it's more about finding the right one for the exact application. This can be difficult when you use the same resin for a variety of projects though.

Just a simple gel time change of a few minutes can make a resin work well, or poorly, just depends on the application. Using the same resin all the time does help you get to know it well and how to use it for the best results.

All the resins you had listed earlier will work for many things, just find the ones you like the best.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.