Ferry folk - moose viewing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

In conjunction with SNAME's World Maritime Technology Conference, (https://www.worldmaritimetechnology.org/registration_start.cgi) the Maritime Economics Panel is participating in the organization of an event for those interested in topical issues related to ferry services. The all-day event will be held Tuesday October 21 at the Port of San Francisco Bayside Conference Room from 1030 - 1600 on 21 October 2003 at Pier One on the Embarcadero (first pier to port side of Ferry Building), San Francisco CA. The meeting agenda is still under development and further details will be forwarded as they become available.

The general format will comprise short, informal presentations on specific areas relating to urban type ferries, such as those in San Francisco, followed by discussions on the topic. The basic idea is to expose as wide a possible range of issue and opportunities as possible.

Our facilitator elaborates:

Ferries seem to be coming, if for no other reason than congestion on existing infrastructure; many are working on various aspects; I, as an essentially dis-interested observer (I've got no dog in this fight), sense some disconnect, and would like, as both a citizen/taxpayer and a marine professional, to see that the various actors are at least aware of each other. The presentations are an opportunity for each "actor" to say "here's what we're currently up to". To pick on Bluewater for a moment, they might say "We've got this paper out there, building on our earlier work, with the help of some transportation engineering pros, and here are some of the key points." Jim might chime in with "I have seen the light, and fuel cells provide the current, here's how it works." Mare could fill us in on the status of the Water Transit's efforts. Paul might address the realpolitik of shore-side facilities, and so forth. The round-table discussion would be somebody pitching softballs at the "panel" of presenters, for the elucidation of all, like "What has been learned from the failures of ferries in (your major metropolitan area here)?" "What been learned from the success of ferries in (Hong Kong/Macao/Vancouver/New York)?"

Mr. Kamen has proposed a theme based on an old DownEast joke: "There's no charge, it's worth more for my moose to see your family than it is for your family to see my moose", which says much the same thing.

For more information on this event, or

**** especially to volunteer to present a topic, ****

please contact the facilitator, Grand Pooh-Bah, (or perhaps King of the Leprechauns):

Ryan R. Young
    1320 Liberty Avenue
    El Cerrito, CA 94530
    (510)412-0148 New Home phone
    (510)-437-3261 work
    (510-484-6118 cell
    HTTP://Users.lmi.net/~ryoung
    Ryoung@lmi.net

or

(East Coast) Chris Barry CBarry@elcbalt.uscg.mil, 410 762-6731

or

(People's Republic of Berkeley) Paul Kamen at pk@well.com, 510-540-7968, www.well.com/user/pk

Confirmed presentations include topics such as ferry emissions studies, tools for synthesis and optimization of basic high speed ferry parameter, current fuel cell ferry technology and specific plans for a SF-Berkeley ferry.

Thus far there are no specific plans for a catered lunch but there is a Farmer's Market at Ferry Building that day; so, pick up some food on your way in and come to the meeting.

Registration at the World Maritime Technology Conference is not required to participate or attend the meeting.

The Yahoo group highspeedferries is available to help support this or for general comments: highspeedferries-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

A website with a summary of a similar panel run by the Maritime Economics Panel in July 02 is at http://www.sname.org/committees/tech_ops/O36/activity.html

Paul Kamen has a variety of material on SF/Berkeley ferries, including the "Dog" paper on ferries given in Asilomar in May 02 on his website, above.

I hope to see you there, but I hope more that you see each other there.

Please also feel free to pass this along to anyone you think might be interested.

Regards to all of yourselves

Chris Barry

2. lockhughes

lockhughes ElectricGuy

blank

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.