...feasability of design/build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by yetigrey0864, Sep 29, 2009.

1. yetigrey0864

yetigrey0864 Junior Member

thanks and mahalo

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3. yetigrey0864

view

thank you for your consideration

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Feasibility....this means you need to write an SOR (statement of requirements) for your boat. Without establishing this, you'll go nowhere fast.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

At first glance she is a pig. Many great boats are built with no plans. However, if you teach rhino, why are you using a pencil?

6. PAR

Yetigrey0864, you've initially posted what by any reasonable account, is a child's rendering of shall we say a well burdened vessel and asked about feasibility. You continue in your initial post with not having a computer yet, showing an interest in "trawler stories".

Frankly, I can't imagine anyone taking your original drawing seriously, regardless of you intentions, let alone the remainder of your post. Now you're offended with what was a very subtle reply (by me). For God's sake you really wouldn't like it if I offered a my true opinion of what that first drawing suggested. If this is all it takes to get you to go over the top, may I recommend some medication and possibly a therapist.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Paul...have a cuppa...or two...you seem to be a smidge impatient today. He IS working on his Ph.D after all and a little tight on time to do up a complicated Rhino rendering simply for us to consider. After all, he IS here to solicit information on a substantial design initiative...It would hardly polite to knock his initiative in seeking the best quality advise on the internet from anyone who owns a keyboard now would it?

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

hat means Ph.D. ???
    Philamons Disease?

9. lewisboats

PhD means a Doctorate...Accrediting you as a Professor and granting you the title of Doctor of Blah Blah. You usually get tenure at a college or university and some reasonable amount of respect if it is warranted. It is the highest level of education in a specific subject attainable in the US and probably most other countries. You are generally qualified to teach said subject to advanced students seeking to obtain their own PhD in the same subject. They are often given as an 'Honorary' title to those who don't qualify but are perceived to have given to us unwashed masses something valuable and substantial.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah, sometimes irony does not travel through the net!:D

Doctor of Philosophy; an advanced university degree, a doctorate usually based on at least 3 years graduate study and a dissertation; the highest degree awarded graduate study.

Was MY definition.........................if there was´nt Philamon.:idea:

Richard

11. yetigrey0864

Ph.D. awarded

Spring 2008 on behalf of PDX.edu by Dr. David Hui.

12. lewisboats

Whooooosh........ as the hair ruffles and nothing else does!

13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Glad I don't have to read the dissertation.:D

14. PAR

Must have been my breath . . . though now that he's removed the lovely hand work of his first post, no one can see how truly bad the rendering actually was. I could have penned a better rendering in 4th grade, but I had a gift . . . , but clearly not as fine as the freshly departed doctor.

So, did I over react in light of such a drawing, to those of you that actually saw it?

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If it is not good enough to leave up, its not good enough to put up. Take your lumps with the rest of us who sometimes embarrass ourselves. God knows I've done it a few times and they are still there. Everybody has a good laugh and moves on. It is not that big a deal. Besides, there may actually be something redeeming in the piece which can not now be appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.