fastest home build method

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, May 22, 2016.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The fastest home build method is the one, the individual is most comfortable with. A welder will struggle with a taped seam, while an average wood butcher will choke on an an alloy. Build speed is more about comfort level than method. Some can be discounted, because of the tediousness of the type, like strip planking or cold molding, other wise it's honest answers, to tough questions of the builder.

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

The question was about construction methods not the builder. If we go by your post you are saying an old school builder can knock out a carvel hull quicker than a ply or foam sandwich hull. I would like to see that.

3. PAR

Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. I can punch out a glued lap or carvel hull very quickly, but I have a lot of experience with these methods. I can do taped seam pretty quickly too, also having a fair bit of experience with it, but if you count up the goo curing time, I bet I can slap a carvel together as fast, if it was the same shape and size as the taped seam.

My real point was, that the method isn't as relevant as the builder's skill sets and familiarity with the method. Your first taped seam is pretty slow, but I'll guess the next one built in this method is 1/3 to 1/2 faster, just because of familiarity with the process.

4. whitepointer23

yes par, i see what you're saying but i will pose the question another way . if you had a group of builders with the same level of experience in each type of construction method and they all started at the same time which hull would be finished first. i think foam sandwich or s&g.

5. PAR

Foam sandwich require s pretty high amount of fairing, while with taped seam, the panels are nearly fair once in place, except for the seams, but the goo factor (cure times) will eat into any savings.

The build aspect isn't the big time consumer, the fitting and finishes are. It takes more time to fair and smooth a foam sandwich build.

I think roto or injection molding would be the quickest, though you'd have to be a pretty fancy home builder for these.

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

The fastest home build method?

Being part of a big family of skilled woodworking addicts...

7. whitepointer23

i might be wrong but wasn't the resurgence in ferro kicked off by 2 men that wanted a fishing boat on a holiday so they dug a dinghy shape in the beach and knocked out a boat in a couple hours . i am sure i read that somewhere.

8. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

9. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Bent, tensioned ply is very fast, in fact I'll go out on a bendy limb and say it is by far the quickest way to get a boat shaped. This is 5.5 metre Cox's Bay Skimmer. The first photograph is after three days work, singlehanded. Not saying the boat was completed at a similar speed because it wasn't achieved in full time work ... but it was still a fast build if you placed the working days together. Built the wing masts too.

Attached Files:

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh sure, I remember that one.

Wasn't that where they had a couple of rolls of chicken wire in their holiday trailer and some thin rebar and a welder in the holiday shack ?

Or were they the ones that had to pay for a barge to lift the sunken lump of concrete from the bottom of the estuary where it cracked and sank ?

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Umm, you missed the picture of the male mould to make sure the dimensions were correct, which is a big part of the hassle.

This is just another version of stitch and glue, where anything over 9ft will need some kind of internal shaping mould to ensure a good shape.

12. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Gotcha RWatson, you are wrong, me old mate.
    I'm talking about tensioned ply a la the Gougeon brothers' method, there is no mould.
    The skimmer was built same way as the Gougeons' except I had a few variations. Actually the Gougeons were not the first to use tensioned ply; English Mirror dinghies and early catamarans used the method back in the 1960s, or even earlier in the Mirror case.
    Here are some shots of my 6.5m foil trimaran main hull using the same, or very similar method. Did I say no moulds? Take away this part of boat building and you cut huge chunks out of boat building time.
    By the way, have built an 8.5 and a 11.3 metre trimaran the same way.

Attached Files:

13. whitepointer23

Must be your day for being wrong rw. Google morley Sutherland . He made the dinghy on the beach. He took 2 bags of cement and a roll of chicken wire with him for the job.

14. HJS

HJS Member

15. PAR

Hydroforming steel or aluminum would also be very fast, but you do need some seriousass pressures and a stoutass mold.

Chicken wire isn't the stuff you use on a ferro hull, even if it is a dinghy.