Extream boat reasurch, Advice needed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by robbie2161, May 11, 2009.

1. robbie2161

robbie2161 Junior Member

Hi nice forum!

I’m currently doing a parametric study as I’m going to design a long range economical transitional motor yacht with a length of about 70 feet maybe longer,

The study has different sections with different relevancies, it is a spread sheet in exel so that I can produce graphs and the first section is all the motor yachts 50 to 70 feet things like princess farretti, bertram ect so that I can compare a production yacht my design

The second part is the same spread sheet layout but with boats like earth race more extream than I would like being designed solely to break records,

And the third is a study on boats in-between, such as the Steve Dashew “Wind horse” or the FPB 83 and the Multiamarine yard producing VSV “Mary slim”

Any information about boats in the latter two categories or where I could find such information would be fantastic and much appreciated.
    Any ideas or technology would be great as well

Many thanks Robbie2161

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

robbie
    "...I’m currently doing a parametric study ...where I could find such information.."

You haven't said what characteristics you are going to use as a set of parameters. So how can anyone read this reply? You need to be more specific in your request so it is clear what you're looking for.

Failing that, try contacting the designers direct.

3. robbie2161

robbie2161 Junior Member

Sorry,

But I thought that the given examples of boats that I have been looking at was enough of a clue, the parameters for the design will come from the final outcome of the parametric study which isn’t finished yet as I am looking to fill it with more information from a wider range of vessels like the ones I have in the given example. So that, like I said……

“I’m going to design a long range economical transitional motor yacht with a length of about 70 feet”.

With the rest of the parameters determined by the study as that’s the idea of the project.

So any information any one has to give, things like the name of a boat that is about that size or similar concept to the ones mentioned.
    Or a designer that has designed or is designing a similar thing will help as I can then research it on the internet and extract as much of the information I need…

Sorry if I’m still failing to get this across, All I need to know is where to look for more vessels like the ones in the example.

Many thanks Rob

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

"...where to look for more vessels like the ones in the example.."

If that is all you are after, try the endless sailing magazines or websites of them.

5. robbie2161

robbie2161 Junior Member

Thank you for that I was completely lost until you cleverly advised that. Do you happen to remember a specific website or magazine that I could look up or shall I put your advice into Google and look through all the relevant material it gives me.

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Ok, robbie - no need to get all worked up because othe rpeople don't do your research for you.

What I understood from Ad Hoc's 1st reply is that if you want to know about parameters of boats listed you should name the said parameters. (for example - numeric stuff like dispalcement, water line length, # of berths, speed. Or even verbal - such as "luxury, passagemaker, trawler, expedition yacht")

It is impossible to list boats that might satisfy your needs unless you can write down what is in your mind.

Nobody wants to start suggesting boats so you can go "no, no, yes, no, hmm, yes"

And yes google does wonders. or the shelf at borders. Yacht international or something similar has those boats for people with way too much money.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Kerosene

Exactly....no problem helping/advising people, but I sure ain't gonna do their research/leg work if they can't be bothered themselves.

Funny how "newbbies" can type 'words' into a google search, come to this forum, yet suddenly have a lobotomy and can't type words like "yachts" or "sailing boats" into google!!

8. robbie2161

robbie2161 Junior Member

I never asked anyone to do my research for me. I was merely looking for advise, how you to got to that conclusion (well Kerosene did Ad Hoc just followed along) I don’t know.

“Funny how "newbbies" can type 'words' into a google search, come to this forum, yet suddenly have a lobotomy and can't type words like "yachts" or "sailing boats" into google!!”

And the point in this naive comment is????? You’re obviously not getting it. I’m not looking for a yacht or a sailing boat at all. I’m looking for something that is harder to find than I first thought. Learn how to read then think about what you say as this doesn’t help.

And because someone is new to a forum doesn’t give you the right to think that you have any more knowledge or intelligence and come out with personal low blow comments. So if your not going to help don’t bother replying as I’m not going to waste any more time trying to get advice on this subject if your just going to continue with useless replies.

So can any one else help, I looked and the boats from Nigel Irens and he does make some very economical long range boats mixed with economical cruising yachts. The Steve Dashew, FPB 83 and FPB 64. And the VSV or “Mary Slim” made by Multimarine.

If you don’t know about these boats there’s some fascinating technology, if anyone knows of any other similar concepts there is a large variation so any suggestions would be great.

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Robbie

You're missing the point totally.

"...The second part is the same spread sheet layout but with boats like earth race more extream than I would like being designed solely to break records...And the third is a study on boats in-between, such as the Steve Dashew “Wind horse” or the FPB 83 and the Multiamarine yard producing VSV “Mary slim”...Any information about boats in the latter two categories or where I could find such information would be fantastic and much appreciated.
    Any ideas or technology would be great as well"

So, other than you're going to make a spread sheet, and you're going to study boats, what information have you provided to anyone on this forum, newbie or otherwise, what is you actually want to list into your spread sheet? You haven't.

The only data for your parametric search you provided was "..it is a spread sheet in excel so that I can produce graphs and the first section is all the motor yachts 50 to 70 feet.." So please explain to me how looking at this 50~70ft range of 'everything in this range' is unique? There are literally millions of vessels in this range, so which ones do you wish to include in your study and which to exclude, impossible to tell, because you have yet to provide the scope of the parameters.

The point of my comment is thus:
    1) You have yet to narrow down what parameters you wish to study (#6) despite your protestations to the contrary
    2) If you know about some of these boats already (as you have named a few) and you know how to use a computer, I'm sure you have heard of google or other search engines, or newsagents, where they sell magazines or even libraries where the 'house' them.

With that understood (or perhaps not), it seems to me you do not understand what research is or how to go about it, yet just criticise when you're prodding into the right direction so you can learn and understand yourself-which i assume is the purpose of the post? But your reply suggest otherwise.

I suspect, that you have yet to answer these question yourself, because you really do not know yourself yet, hence the posting. That in itself is not a problem, many people who begin research often do so without any clear direction. (I was advising a post-doc student just the other day as his brief was far to broad-not as broad as yours). It seems you wish to "study boats"...great, nowt wrong with that. But what "about boats" do you wish to study and why...i do not think that has been answered. If you can't define the 'motivation' behind the research, you'll just go around in circles.

Research requires discipline and focus.

1 person likes this.
  10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think this thread needs a completely different tack.

Robbie2161, you can't design a 70' motoryacht. Nothing personal, but based on your questions and replies, you haven't the skills necessary to even attempt a design brief, let alone the engineering of a substantial vessel.

I mean no disrespect, but the simple truths are all yachts, regardless of type, configuration and appointment are a set of very convoluted compromises, based on a design brief, which is established quite early in the design process.

This appears to be what you're attempting. Frankly the design of a 70' yacht is a laborious task, usually involving a design staff of skilled engineers, each specializing in a specific set of area(s).

The easiest way to design a 70' vessel is to hire a designer. You'll be nursed through the design brief process, you'll help guide the project goals, etc., but the elemental details will be worked out by professionals, familiar and versed in the multiple avenues of expertise necessary to design a 70' yacht.

It's a lovely notion to "self design" a yacht. With some rudimentary education, possible on a small scale, but not something as complex as a 70' powerboat. One good look at the stacks of construction drawings, typically found on a 70' craft should quickly dissuade any prior notions.

11. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Any part of design a 70' boat is major undertaking.
    AC Electrical
    DC Electrical
    engines
    hull
    Anchoring
    toilets
    even the fairing/painting plan

I don't think any single person could do it without help at least from manufacturers.

12. robbie2161

robbie2161 Junior Member

I'm only designing the hull at the moment, I have Claud Graff helping me with anything I cant handle, but I needed help with the reasurch, its comeing allong now.

13. pascal bertram

pascal bertram Junior Member

IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYBODY KNOW BERTRAM HERE
    LIKE OR NOT IN FACT I CANNOT FOUND ANSWER TO SOME QUESTIONS AND AS I AM IN THAILAND THERE ARE NOT MANY BERT OWNERS AROUND
    MY BERT 42' MOTORYACHT GOT TWIN 671 DD 330 HP RATIO GEAR BOX 2-1 PROP SHAFT 1'3/4
    is any body getting the same setting if yes which propellers size did you turn IT IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE I CANNOT BUY NEW PROPELLERS WITHOUT KNOWING IT AS THE ORIGINAL BEEN STOLEN BEFORE I PURCHASE THE GUY WHO GIVE ME THE ANSWER IS THE GREATEST
    THANKS A LOT CHEERS
    PASCAL

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

15. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

couldn't you try

http://www.bertram.com/contact-us.aspx

If you wrote sentences separated by commas and dots and DIDN'T USE ALL CAPS YELLING TYPE you might get more serious responses.

good luck

and whats up with the thread hi-jacking?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.