Everything Old is new again - Flettner Rotor Ship is launched

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Sep 1, 2008.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I'll have more to post at collapsible Flettner rotor project soon. Researching an idea.

3. whirlwind

whirlwind Junior Member

Rotor company in the USA / Bremuda

Just came across these guys, it looks like a collapsible flettner that goes below the deck. Dosent have the potential to be damaged as the Monorotor, and Thiiink / wind again or the Norsepower versions. gets off the deck when running directly into the wind, or for cargo loading. Class approved. and points unlike the kites. pretty cool.;)

Magnuss.com

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Great find there WW.

Their news links were really interesting too

http://magnuss.com/news.html

Attached Files:

5. 1J1

1J1 Senior Member

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Very interesting project, thanks. :)
    I've quickly gone through the reports they have published, and it looks like they have taking this task very very seriously. Can't wait to see the result of full-scale tests.

I don't like the idea of the rotor support disc with holes (page 33 of this report: http://poisson.me.dal.ca/~dp_13_16/Group 12 Winter Design Report.pdf). It would be imo better if they had completely sealed the rotor volume with full discs, to have a buoyancy in case of capsize.

And in fact, it apparently gets swamped during the tests: http://poisson.me.dal.ca/~dp_13_16/Group 16 Design Verification Report.pdf - page 10.

And then... Well, using FEM for this analysis (and also how it was done), makes me smile a bit:
    Rotor disc FEA.jpg
    :)

For the rest, a very nice and interesting project. Will follow it.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Even if the project isnt a total success, i am sure the experience of developing a formal project will be a great aid to these guys in their professional lives.

Their choice of a Laser for the carrying platform is ... um .. interesting. The weight of the construction will be critical for stability.

This is why they are not sealing the cylinder ( Page 20) . If they used a lightweight foam for the cylinder instead of the polycarbonate, they would get plenty of buoyancy in a capsize, along with quick draining. The weight and complexity of a sealed cylinder would negate the setup and transport benefits they are seeking.

My gut feeling is that the multiple pulleys is a bad idea, too much friction. They might do better with a commercial right angle reduction arrangement like the human powered projects do, using steel shafts up to the bottom of the rotor. - EDIT : ah, I see they did that on page 55

In fact, it looks like they tested the whole thing in a pool on page 55 - but no photos, and they decided not to test it on open water.

I am confused by the comments on page 56 and 57 - it sounds like they actually built one, but the reference
    http:/commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/file:magnus_effect_at_flettner_rotor_boat.svg

does not exist.

A bit of a mystery in all

edit

HEEY - the pictures of the results

http://poisson.me.dal.ca/~dp_13_16/Group 16 Design Verification Report.pdf

Edit: 3 - they couldnt get 240 rpm rotation , only got 90 rpm, page 9 :-(
    No wonder they didnt go to open water

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thought I would physically put the results into this thread in case the link disappears in future

Attached Files:

9. 1J1

1J1 Senior Member

They would need a disc on top of the rotor for it's better performance.
    And why they came up with such complicated gearing anyway? Wouldn't it be easier if the man simply could sit at the stern & pedal the thing like a bicycle?

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The did consider it in the plan but the Thom fences were left out due to installation and transport concerns

Thats what I said, "that the multiple pulleys is a bad idea, too much friction". I bet that's one of the reasons they couldn't get it to rotate fast enough., That and the simplistic bearings on the mast.

All that professional planning, and they ignored the bleeding obvious.

11. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

In addition, spinning the rotor at high rpm requires more horsepower than two men can produce according to daiquiri's calculations for the rotor designed on my thread.

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I have seen calculations in the past that proposed that it would be possible for manpower to do it, but the articles are lost in time. Joseph Norwood was the guy I was corresponding with. I must also get his book "Twenty-First Century Sailing Multihulls (AYRS #120)"
    http://www.amazon.com/Century-Sailing-Multihulls-Joseph-Norwood/dp/B0034UN0NM

or a copy from
    http://www.ayrs.org/ayrslist.htm

I have attached an article of his that I haven't read totally where he does the math.

I would expect it would be a task like propelling a pushbike up an incline, and a couple of selectable gears might be a big help.

Certainly, an efficient drive train and bearings would make all the difference

Attached Files:

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I got this email from office@ayrs.org

AYRS Publication No 120 (21st Century Multihulls by Joe Norwood, 2vols) is not available for download, but we can post you a copy for GBP7.00 including surface mail. Airmail to Australia would be an additional GBP3.00.

If you would like a copy, the easiest way of paying for it is through PayPal, making your payment to office@ayrs.org. If you don't already have a PayPal account, then they will charge your credit card. (They will also I believe take payment in Aus$, and convert it for us)

Please make sure you give PayPal your full mailing address, as we are required to send it to the address they give us, (which for a card payment will be the address to which the card is registered)

Thank you and hope to hear form you

Regards
    S Fishwick
    Editor
    Amateur Yacht Research Society
    --
    email: editor@ayrs.org
    WWW: http://www.ayrs.org
    Postal address: Amateur Yacht Research Society, BCM AYRS, London WC1N 3XX, UK

The Amateur Yacht Research Society is a not-for-profit limited company
    registered in England, Company number 785326, Educational Charity No 234081
    Regd Office: 9 Lynton Road, Thorpe Bay, Essex SS1 3BE.

I'm going to get a copy, since its pretty inexpensive, It has a lot of info on building rotor boats.

14. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

So, here's a question: if since a rotor gives no propulsion to the boat unless it is rotated and since rotation is human powered then for legal purposes would this be considered an HPV or sail?

I ask in relation to Texas not requiring registration of HPVs no matter their length (meaning one could, in theory, have a relatively long slender stabilized monohull and still have it treated as their canoe would be).

15. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Actually, it would require both human power and wind. Neither of these power sources alone would be sufficient for producing thrust - their simultaneous interaction is necessary. So, that would make a hybrid system. :)

Don't have the answer to the legal part of your question, though...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.