epoxy joints

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Dec 31, 2013.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

morning people. happy new year. quick question. i am building a ply outboard pod and am tacking the pieces together as i go. can i glass tape and epoxy the joins or do i have to pull the thing apart and glue each join before i can do the fillet with the tape. i hope i make sense. basically i am lazy and hoping i can get away without pulling it to bits. but i don't want to have issues later on.

2. groper

groper Senior Member

Nope... You have to pull it apart and get glue right across all mating edges...

3. whitepointer23

no worrys thanks for the reply. i thought that would be the case .

4. whitepointer23

1 more question. when i get to the fillet stage how thick do i make the epoxy. like margarine or cream. and will a layer of cloth between each layer of ply add a lot of strength.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you have a good gap between "tacks", you can leave it in place and "butter" the rest as you lay the fillets. This assumes you can and have gotten all the end grain and other exposed wood, with a wet out coat, prior to filleting.

Epoxy viscosity is mixed to suit the job. Vertical and overhead work needs to be a nonsagging mix, like peanut butter, while flat work can live with a looser mix, say heavy cream. On fillets, you don't want it to slowly settle as they cure, so the mix should be pretty stiff.

6. whitepointer23

excellent. thanks groper and par.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.