engine set back

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Thomas Johnson, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Thomas Johnson

Thomas Johnson New Member

I have a 1999 wellcraft 25 ft walk around with 200hp johnson. I want to install set back for engine. Has anyone done this and do you have any recommendations as to which bracket to use.

2. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

outboard placement

TJ, are you mounting a Gil type bracket that moves the engine off the transom aft? If so the advantage is that the CG moves aft and the top end can move up a tad. The engine can be moved up in relation to the bottom's aft edge at the transom. The wake rises aft the hull about an 1" (or slightly more) for a foot aft. So the engine can be raised in relation to the stern many are almost a yard long so the top of the engine mount moves up nearly 3".

Several bracket makers offer single and duals which might allow you to carry a 'get-home' smaller kicker if you feel the need. The bracket makers are the real pros here, they're the ones with the experience and that's who I'd ask about your hull and engine combo.

Cheers,
    kmorin

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.