The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wardd, Oct 24, 2009.

1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

2. tonyr

tonyr Junior Member

I relied on it, and the boat still floats 4 years later. Nothing's broken.

Tony.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is an excellent book

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Never heard of it....can't comment.

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

:confused: :?:

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Dave’s books, The Elements of Boat Strength and The Nature of Boats are largely responsible for my obsession with small boats. They have helped me understand things I didn’t’ think I could. They also made it clear to me that I don’t know what I don’t know. I would recommend them to anyone interested in small boats.
    Gary :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Wynand

Im confused why you're confused!:confused:

8. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Gerr might be a better author than designer and I don't mean that in a bad way. I've always thought it a shame he doesn't participate here more than his infrequent updates from the school. I suppose it could suck up way too much of his time, but what a good resource he would be!

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Ad Hoc: he is confused because for anyone in a marine design related profession to not know Gerr, is like a musician that doesn't know The Beatles

10. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

I haven't read the book but I've leafed through it. It appears to be a rule of thumb guide to produce scantlings for small boats without doing any real engineering. The only way to know for sure if the scantlings are adequate is to compare the rule of thumb derived structure with an engineered structure. But that would defeat the purpose of using a rule of thumb approach in the first place.

My guess is Gerr's methods are intended to arrive at an overbuilt structure. If that is the case, you may not get into any trouble using his methods. You're going to have to trust him on that. If you intend to take people's money to design a boat's structure, someone should do the proper engineering to Lloyd's, ABS, or ISO.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

His method uses scantling rules. Herreshoff used them to make many succesful boats. The Veritas, Lloyd's and ABS are scantling rules. There are many other engineering calculations besides hull and deck, especially on a ship.

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Beatle?? isn't that a honking big mallet for caulking????

13. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I agree that Elements is a great book. I've used it and continue to do so. The scantlings it provides do err on the conservative side, but are none the worse for doing so. Structures built to the derived scantlings will, in my experience, be slightly 'heavier' than those derived from other common scantling rules - like ABS.
    This book won't necessarily teach you the engineering that goes into the design of a well built boat, but everything in it is based on sound engineering principles.
    There are compromises that must be accepted in using it, of course. The number of bulkheads and their approximate spacing, for instance, is governed. If this fits in with your design anyway, then there's no problem. If not, you will have to look elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  14. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Gonzo
    I've heard of Gerr, his prop book is excellent. But not aware of any others by him.
    The reason being a mix of tonyr's and Paul K's reply.

For tonyr, one assumes he is not a formally trained naval architect? He has a passion and/or interest in boats. Takes it to the next level and draws/designs boats. Without formal uni training what guidance is there for 'designers/draughtsman' who wish to draw up structure for build.....seems like this is a widely used book for guidance.

The reason why I'm not aware of the book is because i design from first principles and/or Class rules. Which Paul is eluding to. I estimate/establish the loads and then design a structure to suit the loads. The rules of thumb i use are based upon all the as-built designs i have designed which have all passed Class and been running successfully for years. BUT, the rule of thumb is just to establish the rough weights/structure in the preliminary design stage, to ensure the design works before giving it to the client. I'm not wasting endless time on details if the project doesn't go ahead. Proper analsyis/design is required post contract.

So perhaps you should reiterate and say it is like a someone who listens to music not knowing the Beatles, rather than a musician who knows them and how to play every chord of their music.

15. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

This is am informative site on construction

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/

If sometimes you are made to feel you are not up to it , read about some of the professional screw ups . I study all I can of the way good boats are built.
    Read , and look at boats, go tour some boat manufacturers .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.