Electric desalination

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mtumut, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

I am researching ways to desalinate sea water at sea with electric. I am not good at this subject but this could be electrolysis may be.
    Please share with me your knowledge.
    It must be adapted to 1 meter boat for Istanbul to Chile voyage , 1 liter daily.

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Mustafa,
    it is spoken like Chile, but you write it "Sile"! And you can go there by Bus, no boat needed!

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

One litre a day is not much to go on. Are you sure you have this thought out in sufficient detail?
    A reverse osmosis watermaker (pretty much the only type commonly seen on pleasure craft) will run you a few thousand dollars. I've never seen any cheaper systems that look like they'd actually work for very long (ignoring, for the moment, the little hand-pumped emergency units used for life rafts).

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

mtumut, Why not a solar desalinator? No electricity needed, just a collector for condensation of evaporated sea water.

6. hoytedow

P.S., Isn't 1 meter a little short?

7. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

There will be no sun where I am going only grey clouds I think. I will be at South Atlantic at the future exactly. I had been read a article about using aluminium plates and some other metals as anode and cathode.
    It was saying it was possible to produce water.
    OK. Let s be clear.
    I dont know but which metals are suitable to electrolysis the seawater ?
    Is it possible to clean the metals from collecting salt and other metals ?
    How much electricity does it need to produce 1 liters of water ?
    I can buy a Survivor 06 but I cant trust it. I need to find a way to produce my electric and water and food by myself with rock solid way.
    I am searching for non moving parts technologies.
    1 meter boat is little bit short but I will sit diagonal , it will make 125 , leg lenght.

Mustafa Umut Sarac

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

So it really is 1 m, I thought for a moment there was a typo....
    Electrolyzing seawater does not produce fresh water. It produces chlorine gas, some hydrogen gas, a little bit of molecular oxygen and a bunch of sodium and calcium oxides suspended in a slightly less salty seawater.
    Where would you get electricity on such a boat, anyway? It doesn't sound like there's enough room for a person and food, let alone batteries.

9. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

3 square meters of piezo electric film costs 200 dollars. I am thinking to cover the entire boat with it and produce electricity with wind wave pressure.
    There will be no battery but a chinese generator at the keel. I am thinking to cover the sail with piezo film also with one side flexible solar cell . I think kynar is lot cheaper at china , many many times cheaper. I will have a wind generator also. I will build the wind generator by myself.
    When I started to research these , I have had no money. Now I have money but I stucked in to build cheapest.
    May be I first visit Ukranian Docks and Russia with my boat at Black Sea. May be I climb the Danube to North Sea.

Mustafa Umut sarac

10. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

Is it possible to filter these oxides ? I watched a tv show about clay filters ?

11. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I guess this is the latest version of Banana Split, but I can't figure out where the camera might possibly be.

12. hoytedow

Wouldn't a teakettle, a condensation coil and a catch basin be simpler? Put it on a stove and that's all.

13. hoytedow

Mustafa,
    So, where do we send the sympathy cards when this seemingly overloaded small boat flips? Minimum daily water intake is closer to 4 liters. I worry for your safety.

14. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

There are survival style reverse osmosis setups where YOU pump and some water is filtered to drinkable.

Might be more reliable than a home brew electric gadget that still needs to be invented.

FF

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh no - this guy again! he reels us in every time.

Lets all send him ten dollars so he can escape whatever hell hole he is living in in a bit more style than a 1 metre coffin.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.