The Elcoplane

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by The Bug, Jan 29, 2006.

1. The Bug

The Bug New Member

This seems like a good place to get some feedback on a project of This seems like a good place to get some feedback on a project of mine....The reproduction of a 1911 Elcoplane that was raced by my great grandfather.

The power plant will be a circa 1915 Curtiss OX-5 converted for marine use, producing about 90hp at 425 ft lbs of torque.

The boat was designed by Irwin Chase, Elco's chief designer at the time (BS Marine engineering University of Michigan 1906). Chase received a patent for 'A Hydroplane Boat' that had a number of novel features. Here's a page of drawings from the patent:

View attachment Chase Hydro d1.pdf

The first boat of this type was launched in 1911. She was 16' overall 15' on the waterline with a beam of 4' 8"! Power was a gas engine weighing 650#'s and produced 60hp.

She was originally named HAZEL only to be changed to THE BUG shortly after her first race. (Hence my screen name)

As built, the planes on THE BUG were closer to what is shown in this cartoon from Motorboat Magazine Sept 1911. :

View attachment Hazel's Bottom.pdf

The planes in this case are much simpler than those in the patent and include a 'ventilated fairing plane' forward of the corrugated planes. This allowed air to pass over the plane and break the vacuum at the step. The planes were applied to the hull rather than built into it.

I look forward to your opinions (even if it is that I am crazy!!) and analysis.

Bill

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Looks like a great project. Are you starting 100% from scratch or do you have any actual rotted out spars to start with? Any more pictures?

Three threads that I've started recently on related topics.

http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10271

http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/index.php?showtopic=665

http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/index.php?showtopic=667

Note-1: There are contact e-mails at the sites given in the links - you might want to contact them.

Note-2: I have at one time been in contact with Michael (Gene) Parsons (via e-mail), who was the head of Naval Architecture at the University of Michigan for ten years. I don't know if the five year old e-mail I have is any good anymore, let me know if it will help. U of M archives and library is a great resource in any case.

EDIT: Mike Parsons wrote back:
    Chase is indeed a graduate of the
    department. The Plaza and landscaping in front of our building is now
    the Irvin Chase plaza in his honor. It was created two years ago with
    a gift from his son and family.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.