Effects of racing rules on boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rugludallur, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

This is stupid. I still believe you are incorrect Paul, but nothing I will say will persuade you of this and you clearly cannot agree to disagree so I will simply unsubscribe from the thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Sadly you are mistaken. It seems your ego is preventing you from learning something.

3. rugludallur

rugludallur Rugludallur

Why don't large ships have plumb sterns?

I've been thinking and I don't recall ever seeing a commercial vessel with a plumb stern so the question automatically arises, why don't larger ships have plumb sterns?

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

What offend me is your indelicate arrogance.
    But that is a concept that seams to elude you.

Let me provide evidence of your total ignorance on the subject of boat at large and your total ignorance about what you are talking about:

Why should I ignore your rudeness?

So please don't start this little game, and be friendly. Like everybody else here.
    Daniel

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Paul B is likely one of the most "ignored" members of the board. He has been here as long as I have, has posted more times then Daniel, clearly has expertise and opinion, but the reputation of a novice or new forum member. He's just one of those people who shouldn't be put on the "ignored list", though manages to warrant it repeatedly. A typical boor.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Back to topic. I think older sailboats was more designed by rules than they are now. Think about old "meter" boats and Swedish square meter boats, long and skinny, large overhangs, no beam at all, under-canvased.

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The quote you provide does not provide any evidence of my ignorance. However, it may provide evidence of someone's ignorance.

You claim the Kayaker is your friend who you have learned a lot from. You do him a disservice by not taking this opportunity to help him understand a common concept.

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I thought you had gone away Auntie. Nice to see you are back.

You may choose to ignore my posts. I will not ignore yours. So much to learn!

9. TwoByFour

TwoByFour Junior Member

When people say that things trickle down from automobile racing to mass-manufactured road vehicles, they are both right and wrong. Not everything trickles down from there, and I think that with boats it is the same. I think that 20 years ago these things were perhaps a bit different, but today I don't think it applies anymore.

A lot of things in racing are not as they are because it is the best way to do things, but because the rules have 'forced them' to.

A good example are the engines used in F1 racing today. Because of displacement restrictions and forced induction being banned, the engines are now revving close to 20K RPM which demands that all the parts in it be made from 'Unobtanium' to withstand the loads. This is very far from being due to practical reasons, these engines are extremely expensive and do not live long. Hardly any of the technology used in them can be seen in mass-produced everyday cars.

Another thing are gearboxes, clutches and tyres. In recent years, While perhaps a little of the technology in manufacturing and materials has improved indirectly with racing, hardly anything in a race car is the same as in a road car. They may appear to be the same, but they are not.

Even if you take "performance" cars you can buy straight from the manufacturers, such as the Subaru Impreza or a sporty version of a BMW, they have very little of what the pure race-bread version has, except for the appearance perhaps.

To me, the main reasons are:

1. Racing machines are too expensive for every-day practical use.
    2. Racing machines are not built for comfort, they are built for performance.

A lot of people fall for the perceived coolness factor of these "performance" cars, but the price is high and the practicality is limited, unless you're single man and hoping to impress the girls.

Again, perhaps similar with racing boats vs. 'cruisers'.

Carl.

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Exactly. Even inefficient characteristics like the Yawl Rig became popular due to rating rules. Now people seem to assume they existed because they were a good solution for non-racing craft.

Not only were the meter-style spoon bows rule-induced, but also later the raked bows were due to RORC/CCA and IOR rules, not because they were superior in speed, handling, or comfort.

A group of people seem to think these old design elements must have been handed down from the almighty, and the art and science of yacht design cannot have progessed.

On the other hand, most professional design offices have been unconstrained by a worldwide rating rule for the past 20 years, so hull shapes and rig configurations of non-racing craft are much more pure in terms of form following function.

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You are something.
    No need to go further with you. You are pathetic.
    And yes you are an ignorant, if you don't even don't know how to read your own post.
    Don't play game, you will loose.

Daniel

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

What game? Lose what?

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look folks, there's no discussion with Paul B, there never has been. Never has there been a thread where the banter ended with his admission or concession of even the potential for being incorrect or that he may have mis-spoken. His sole expression here is to prove to himself, while others watch, that all the swirls in his head is true and that the world must have it pounded into them or they are wrong. By his own admission he's never designed a boat, nor built one and he's repeatedly hidden who he actually is, lest someone might find out he's actually the full of **** clod he appears. His claims and insistence is absolutely ridiculous, in most of the last part of this thread. He constantly uses other comments out of context in reply and tosses insults like a school boy that can't find a reasonable middle ground to stand on. As I said, there's no discussion with him, there never has been previously and his behavior is plainly seen in his reputation, which is that of a new member, not the 7 year, 1365 post one he actually is. This is likely his only outlet, so he takes it out on us. He's retired to watch episodes of the Price is Right on cable and ***** and moan about how self pontification can win you friends at charm school. Of course his dogmatic approach isn't particularly effective, just annoying. I'd recommend everyone use the ignore list option, so he can talk to himself, which I suspect is what he does when not on line.

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

As I've said, feel free to ignore my posts.

I do not plan to ignore yours.

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This one smarty.
    Don't play, I told you, you will lose.
    You didn't believe me, your loss.
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.