Dutch Barge long distance cruisers

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, Apr 18, 2006.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Maybe you could get that 27" one modified with more pitch or something to handle more power.

2. Jacques B.

Jacques B. Junior Member

Yes, the forestay and anchor winch line are both u-bolted to the head of a 7-foot long tubular cantilever that articulates around a pinned base flange at the base of the mast. Simple, but effective.

No, when the boom is resting in the existing rooftop cradle with the gaff and mainsail attached, any pilot that's more than 5 feet tall has to constantly bob under them to see what's happening on the other side of the boat. I had to bob back and forth all the way up from Fort Lauderdale (did wonders for my abs, but cost me a visit to the chiropractor when I got here). I figure that raising the cradle about 13 inches should clear the view when the sail is down.

How well does she sail? I wouldn't know. I've never sailed her (or anything else for that matter), and the only power boat I'd ever "captained" before buying Neeltje was an 8' Zodiac that I made the mistake of strapping a 9.9 HP Volvo Penta to (but that's another story).

I did raise the gaffed mainsail manually once while still in Fort Lauderdale. At the time, all I wanted to do was see what shape the sail was in before folding it properly. That was on a perfectly calm day in a well-protected inland marina, and yet, even with the help of my two 200-300 lb. buddies, it was more of a chore than I'd like to have to deal with solo in open water.

Size-wise, she's got a LOA of 62', a beam of 13', a maximum draft (at the rudder skeg) of 3'9'', a raised mast draft of 44', a folded mast draft of 10', and a dry weight of 40 tons (US).

Granted, she's not the most efficient motor/sailor on the planet, but she's got tons of charm.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's quite a leap from a rubber boat. Your next boat...?

[​IMG]

4. Jacques B.

Jacques B. Junior Member

Not. Too hard to park in a cross wind. ;-)

5. Jacques B.

Jacques B. Junior Member

According to Michigan Wheel, I can't do better under the current circumstances than with the prop I've got, but if I ever do replace the existing power plant for a higher revving one, blade pitch will certainly be an issue.

6. Jacques B.

Jacques B. Junior Member

Here are a couple of the pics one of my mates took with a throw-away camera as we arrived in Saint Augustine and had her hauled-out. He'd taken a bunch more with his smartphone on the way up, but lost them along with the phone when he fell overboard north of Palm Beach.

Note the position of the rested boom at helm level (I'm only 5'10'' tall, and as you can see, I still had to duck under it to see where the other side of the boat was going).

Neeltje looks almost "petite" hanging from a 100-ton traveling crane, but you'll get a better idea of just how flat her bottom is.

As you can see, my other mate (a 6'2'' tall 360 lb. power lifter) is almost as broad-beamed as the boat. We might have had a hard time getting him into the cabin, but he sure came in handy when we got stuck in the mud...

Attached Files:

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

but if I ever do replace the existing power plant for a higher revving one, blade pitch will certainly be an issue.

Thats why transmissions are created with many ratios.

8. Tim Mooney

Tim Mooney New Member

Jacques, nice to Neeltje repaired and going. In the mid or late nineties my friend Capt. Chuck and I went to look at her in Baltimore when she was for sale. We'd discussed going to Holland and buying a Platbodemjacht but never could us both get away. We met the broker and he left us on the boat for the afternoon and we spent hours taking in this very different boat. The bottom paint texture was mystifying because it looked amazingly like unpainted steel or steel with virtually no coating.
    Checking systems: Lights, "Check." Bilge pump. "No."
    "Bubba that not good."
    "Yea"
    Bow Thruster, "Check."
    "WHOA, KILL THE BOW THRUSTER" "Bubba we got a problem. The thruster tube is rusted through and we got a fountain in the foc'sle." If there was a bronze propeller in the tube, it would be right about where the perforation was. The paint was bubbled around the spritzing hole and I wondered if any jarring shock would open up a good size hole.

Chuck went to call the broker after getting the bilge pump working as a precaution.and told him to come right down, that we would not be locking the boat up ourselves. Having looked in all the lockers, I put half a tube of 5200 on a sponge, applied the compress to Dan Rowan of Laugh-In fame's neglected boat. Held in place with a stick jammed to the underside of the deck, the leak looked OK when the broker arrived. He did not think there was much wrong. I suggested a diver look at the boat ASAP and told him I'd be getting off the boat before him. "Bye."

We heard a diver was hired, the boat was hauled pronto, and the broker was dumped for a new one. We had to wonder if that was because the original broker would have to disclose a more accurate condition.

Wonderful boat. May life be a breeze and you running downwind.

Tim Mooney, Peace Dale, RI

9. Jacques B.

Jacques B. Junior Member

Thanks Tim,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I'm use to those Forums where they e-mail you every time you get a message in reply, and since I had nothing to contribute on this or other threads, I haven't been back in a while.

In the mean time, her "new & improved" running gear (stern thruster included) is ready to go, and if the weather holds up, I should be able to get her painted (top & bottom) and splashed by the end of the month.

I plan to do her bright work myself with le Tonkinois, (which shouldn't take me much more than a decade), and eventually learn how to sail (her)...

I'll be the first to admit that for a 65-year old newbie, it doesn't get much more exciting than this!

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I was down in St Augustine, FL a few weeks ago and took a ride over to Green Cove Springs marina area. Found this little European canal vessel sitting up on blocks. Didn't just want to leave these photos languishing on my computer.

Attached Files:

11. nickbranson

nickbranson Branson Boat Design

Hello Greensleaves,

Here at Branson Boats we fairly recently produced a very seaworthy design (cat A of the R.C.D) and yet low enough air daft for the inland waterways of Europe. The Trawler 52.

Brians photos reminded of another American built Dutch Barge. Amazon Boat Co built one of out Thomas 50 kits to a very high standard. The steel kit was cut in the U.S using our D.X.F files. Really a top class job. Not as seaworthy as the Trawler 52 it nevertheless can achieve cat B of the R.C.D. These Dutch Barge designs are 'V' bottom, like a motorboat below the waterline rather than the heavy flat bottomed originals.

For those considering building a Dutch Barge, this short video shows one being put together by Piper Boats - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lbSL-T5nU8

Attached Files:

12. Roger.L.Nugent

Roger.L.Nugent Jolly Roger Jams

Hi, I'm also new here. going to retire soon. Dreaming all my life of building a shallow draft steel houseboat for the ICW and inter Gulf islands.
    Nothing fancy, just on the cheap.
    Got my place to build it, got my welder and plasma cutter.
    know where to get the steel.
    I will have the time and will borrow the money.

13. nickbranson

nickbranson Branson Boat Design

Hello Roger,

Glad you've got the equipment. Regarding a computer cut kit. This fast build route will need you to source another couple of other things too:-

1) A company with a C.N.C plasma cutter with a cutting table of around 20ft x 10ft. Some kit parts are 20ft long. The company will need to cut to an accuracy of plus or minus 1/8th inch over 20ft. Not a problem but get them to state this in your contract! They will need to be able to number them as per the drawings as each part has it's own location. When you have identified possible companies we will send rough D.X.F drawings to them on your behalf for quotation purposes. When you have chosen your company we will send them precise D.X.F files.
    The company will need to 'nest' these parts on the sheet sizes they have available.

After plasma cutting (if needed) cross check measurements from a cut piece of steel can be made against the computer dimensions. These kits are tried and tested and fit together extremely well. We guarantee this so long as the parts are cut accurately!

2) Plate handling- best with a forklift or overhead gantry! Long, thin, heavy plates need handling without kinking. Plate grabs, and pullers will also be needed. Are you using MIG? Recommend MIG as a lot of welding is involved. Approximately 1/3rd build time on tacking the kit together 1/3 on welding up and the last 1/3rd on grinding and detailing. A lot of builders buy this equipment second-hand and then sell it on completion.

3) Also you will need to buy tube and angle for things like the handrails, rubbands, sterntube. Standard steel sections.

Savings? Compared with the traditional way- Loft (or draw out) full size the boat plans. Hand cut each frame and centreline piece, Template and hand cut each skin plate, Fiddle about endlessly making good. The results- 50 to 100% more labour, higher steel wastage, large quantities of grinding disks for linishing the cut plates, excess plate distortion and uneven lines, more overheads and more filler. A boat with less resale value as the unevenness and roughness will inevitably show. It cost more and took longer to produce an inferior product.

Costs for C.N.C cutting a 40ft Luxemotor - D.X.F drawings hired for one boat- $4,275, C.N.C cutting $4,000? I don't know what it costs in the States and guess it varies widely as it does here in the UK. A steel boat builder would expect to take 800 man hours to complete this kit.

It's fun and fast putting a kit together especially in the tacking together stage were large chunks of the boat get added every day! For a good looking boat it is cheaper than any other way.

Our company is at www.dutch-barges.net there are others as well so if our designs don't suit, try another company but stick with kits!

Nick

Attached Files:

14. brian eiland

15. brian eiland

Tigre D'or Luxury Canal Vessel

This luxury river vessel, with a steel hull and superstructure, combines classic barge lines with a cockpit and accommodation more normally associated with a luxury motoryacht. With her extremely low draft, she was especially designed and built for cruising inland waterways and is perfectly suited for even the shallowest waters.

Her classic interior and sturdy, yet elegant, exterior design demonstrate the amazing yachtbuilding versatility that is Hakvoort’s hallmark.

Tigre D'or was nominated as finalist for the Designers Award of the International Superyacht Society and won in her class best power 23 to 32 meter.

http://www.hakvoort.com/the-hakvoort-fleet/yachts/tigre-d-or/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.