Dutch Barge long distance cruisers

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, Apr 18, 2006.

1. wightmage

wightmage Junior Member

Thanks for getting back to me. At the moment the cost is currently $45000

2. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Ah Wightmage you indeed have two different Pierre's. I don't own the lovely 73' Dutch Barge.
    Perhaps the other Pierre can add something concrete.

Have you checked here http://www.weshipboats.com/specials.html

Setting a boat up to properly cross an ocean and completing the voyage can easily run $45k

3. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Why? One can easily built a quite stiff flat bottom, box shaped hull, if that is really needed. Combined with the anti rolling effect of long, large leeboards, such a craft could, uncomfortably but safely, travel through high seas, too.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Any old LST vets have anything to say about large flat bottom boats on the open ocean? Depending on leeboards for stability is folly.

5. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Yeah. I've been out in the North Atlantic on flat bottom landing barges. Just about the only time in my seagoing life that I truly feared for my life. Never again!

6. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Was it because of excessive rolling, wave pounding on the flat bottom, water coming inside, or what?

7. KnottyBuoyz

Yup all of that and more. Biggest problem was securing loads so they wouldn't break loose. The motion of a flat bottom barg is a very quick roll and lots of slamming. We had a small generator break loose (2x10,000lb straps) and crush the engineers leg. IMHO the only place for those kind of boats on the ocean are as artificial reefs. Although they were good for painting the side of the ships. They hold multiple lifts of scaffold really well (as long as it's calm).

I remember the Captain having a chat with the Regional Dir of Ops about towing the LCM's. The Cap'n asked what happens if she turns turtle while under tow? The DoO said: "Cut the tow line and let her go"!

8. xarax

xarax Previous Member

The very quick rolling motion of a flat bottom barge is very uncomfortable for the crew, that is for sure, and conveys the feeling of an imminent capsize, but is it really dangerous? I mean, are there reported incidents of self motoring barges that turned turtle in high seas ? The barge s bottom tends to follow the contour of the waves, but does the induced excessive rolling present a real danger of capsizing?

9. KnottyBuoyz

It's not likely it'll ever happen as I have no intention to try to find out. Might want to contact your insurance underwriter to see if they'll cover a North Atlantic passage.

10. ms.dageraad

ms.dageraad Peter Engel, Friesland

Robert:

Please check if the construction of your boat is strong enough for off-shore cruising. My own barge is really 'panting' in only 1 m waves. It is meant for in-shore and river-cruising.

Shipping can be a possability when your boat is shipped as extra cargo at a large barge or off-shore construction, which is shipped anyway. You can ask for it at Jumbo-shipping, Dockwise, Heerema, Smit Holland, Wijsmuller etc. The chinese built barges (to dutch design) are shipped in the hold of large chinese built cargoships, which are shipped as cargo at a large sea-going barge. The barge-yacht is a tiny mouse in the hold of such a larche hull.

Lea-boards can be very dangerous in large seas. They probably will snap off (2 - 4 inches of wood!). And the snapped of part can easily damage the hull.

Everything is possible. Columbus discovered Amerika in a ship very unseaworthy to today's standard. But do you want to risk your life and money? I think you better search for a possibility to built your barge-yacht in your neighbourhood. A design for it is to get even by e-mail!

Good luck!

Groet,
    Peter Engel
    ms. Dageraad
    Holland

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Ro Ro Shipping

If the superstructure is not too high, then you might consider what they term Ro-Ro (roll-on, roll-off). This is the method utilized for shipping cars, farm tractors, military vehicles, etc. It is not containerized.

I shipped a 37 foot sailing catamaran from France by this means, and it sat on a 'flat rack' (no-sided 40 foot container rack) supported under its wing deck section. They put temp wheels under the flat rack and roll it onto and off the ship. Certain decks of the ship have more head clearance than others.

With the USA economy headed where I think it is, you may be finding more available space in the near future

12. wightmage

wightmage Junior Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. I dont want to risk life, limb or the boat at all. I was just shocked that I can but a 76ft Sailing Tajlk in good shap for £50k that is big enough to live on. It is currenty working costal as a Charter in the Netherlands. Upon checking what it would cost to get it to the states I have been getting $25k to $45k quotes back. Thats a heck of a premium to pay for the transport.

If I could get it over then it would be heaven to use on the Great Lake, Inland Waterways and river systems. To be honest its uniqueness would allow me to potentialy chater and get a good income out of it. Its about investment really I guess.

One can dream right?

The other option that has presented itself is I found a 1950's East German 86' North Sea Trawler for £37k that has had 98% of the live aboard conversion work done for living space. She is in good seaworthy shape yet you face a 45 liter an hour fuel consumption even though she carries 22 tons of fuel. She could make the trip with some refit and care. The down side there is that her mooring and cruising options are limited with a draft of 9'.

Dont you hate having to make choices?

Look nobody ever accused me of wanting to do easy things in life... :)

Thanks for the input up to now.

13. colinstone

colinstone Junior Member

A 76ft Sailing Tajlk in good shape for £50k.
    I've looked at a couple of these at a little more - say £80k - and superficially yes. But lots of nasties lurking below the paint - particularly rust lifting bands and hull plates in way of rivets. I would almost guarantee that vessel that cheap will have hull steel bordering on thin - 4mm max - and will need replating almost throughout like this 1920's luxemotor - http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/oxcruisers/page/image6.html

14. mo´s

mo´s Junior Member

cruising 4 2

dear bd members,

my wife and me are looking for a cruising barge too, for living afloat when lifes evening will start. studying lot´s of boat layouts we decided to plan our own one.

some facts:

- 2 persons + dog

- no guest cabin

- max space

- open cockpit + wheelhouse

- eurpopean waterways + coastel cruising on calm days ( we can wait)

- no longer than 49 feet (we need another license for larger boats)

- simple and unexpencive construction

- sailaway steel version with mounted engine and completely painted.
    technic and interieur will be installed by ourself.

here´s the latest version (i´m still working on it). it may be an input for you.

best wishes tom

ps. constructive critic is welcome

Attached Files:

• cc1.JPG
      cc1.JPG
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
    • cc3.JPG
      cc3.JPG
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
    • cc4.JPG
      cc4.JPG
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:

15. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Tom,
    I'd be interested to hear your thinking behind the "bow" shape of the model you've pictured. It appears to be somewhat reminiscent of a catamaran hullform, but with a bridgedeck that makes permanent contact with the water. Does it develop into a more conventional flat-bottomed craft? Either way, why not simply have the more usual 'punt' front end?

Good looking boat BTW...

Oh - and welcome to the forums...:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.