Dutch barge for lake Ontario

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jason Elliott, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Jason Elliott

Jason Elliott Junior Member

All of these responses are great, so here are a few more details. I have a 1960ish boat with a hull that can not be repaired, but said boat does have 2x 190 HP motors, 6 Kw generator, Props, fuel tanks, electronics etc etc etc.. all of the interior fixtures are in good to excellent shape, she just took one hell of a hit and further, Im not a big fan of the style and space it affords, SO I am lookig for a design that I can build. Now I do have a few years and friends that work for Beer ( nothing less than 5%), Tad has offered some great designs, I was also looking at the Diesel ducks,??

2. Jason Elliott

3. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

No trade for me, but the other Brian might be more adventurous!

I'm not sure I'd use a 'duck' as a liveaboard that was mostly anchored up. There were better options posted. One factor is how often you will move, and whether you intend to go beyond the lake. Also, don't let the motors & other stuff you have dictate what you settle for - if the 'tail wags the dog' then in the longer term you'll likely regret it. What you don't use you can sell.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Question: I know nothing about Dutch barges as such. But the term 'barge' generally implies river or canal craft.

Are the Dutch barges under discussion appropriate for open water and stormy conditions? Lake Ontario can get pretty hairy in a hurry....

I'm not trying to slam them; I'm asking because I don't know enough to form a reasoned opinion.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Floating Homes

Jason I would suggest you try using the search function (button) on this forum and look up subjects like floating homes, barges, canal boats, etc. You will find lots of material, with lots of other links. ...Or perhaps even goggle it.

Here is a floating cottage I put a bid in on for a part time living situation I was contemplating. This one was built on SS tubes. The guy had built a previous one on alum tubes. Or maybe even surplus 500 gal propane tanks could be used.

...nice touch, it had a cedar wood interior with beams

Attached Files:

6. Jason Elliott

All great ideas, I really appreciate everyone's comments, the one thing I am trying to avoid is the floating trailer park context. What ever I end up doing, I want to ensure its functional...and nautical..if that makes any sense..

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Troy,

On barge seaworthiness......Some think sailing scow schooners originated in the Great Lakes, but they were also built in places like New Zealand, from where where they made offshore voyages across the Pacific. Properly handled a barge can go anywhere a keel vessel can go, and alot of other places where there's not much water. Yes, ultimate stability is not great, but it isn't that great in multihulls (for example) either. Some will argue that the shallow draft and beach ability adds to safety, in alongshore cruising you can run into a protected cove anyplace.....and with steel construction it's no problem.....read the Triloboat site about living aboard and cruising a tiny sailing barge in Alaska.....

And as to this design....shall we say utilitarian.......;)

IMG_7585.JPG

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I agree Tad..it was a bit utilitarian. but it did answer a real liveaboard need. And I thought with a little bit of effort it might well be modified on the exterior to appear as a Thai floating cottage, and maybe camouflage that upper steering station with plants, small trees on the sizable foredeck.

Besides I think he is living in a utiltarian manner at present ;)

Attached Files:

9. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Greetings,

How about this? Would be even better if stretched to 42'.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.