drawing needs scale

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sandpiper32, Aug 28, 2014.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

DCockey, you have to decide, sandpiper32 has his boat or do not?

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

His boat is not all original to the design. Sandpiper said:

"I'd like to go back to the original free standing rig, hence my query about my brochure, showing the original rig with a larger main and smaller fore. "

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What I understand is that his boat itself was the original but his rig was not the original. The original rigging was the one in the brochure. Therefore, if he could figure out the scale of the brochure, he could draw the plans of the original rig.
    If so, the solution is easy.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

He owns the boat, but with a different rig. The original rig is shown in the illustration in the brochure.

Yes, the solution is simple as described near the beginning of the thread.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

So we agree and apparently sandpiper32 already has the solution.
    Congratulations.

6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

This got me ROFL. :D:D:D

7. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Ok, quick and easy import into Photoshop and set up some guides. Image scale is 1.26 pixels per inch, assuming LOA is exactly 32 feet. Cross check that on area of the mainsail and it gives a result within 2.5% for area, which realistically is about as close as you're likely to get by scaling on an old and small image.

From that you can get the dimensions of the original sails to within an inch or so, but you'd still need reliable scantlings for the mast sections, which you will not be able to scale from that drawing. If the original sailmaker is still in business, they'd probably have the real measurements.

ETA: Actually, try emailing the big companies like Hood and North. There's a good chance they will have made sails for these boats at some point. Hell, email any reputable sailmaker who has been operating in the south-eastern US for the past few decades. Why screw around if you can get the real dimensions from a reliable source?

But, you are still going to need those mast scantlings, and you will want to be very sure of those.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What I understand the Op wants is, the cat schooner rig (which he incorrectly thinks is a periauger rig), not the cat ketch rig she was designed (and likely currently has), which is the rig formerly known as a periauger. I've seen Prestos done this way (cat schooner), with typically very little mast height difference between main and fore, though usually 5% - 10% more area in the main, making it a schooner.

This wouldn't be a difficult thing to arrange, if he seeks professional help. Some structural considerations would need to be addressed and possibly other modifications, other then the new stick arrangement, but again not a difficult set of problems for a skilled designer or NA (neither of which will be using DelftSheep or FreeShit).

9. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

Why would you suddenly start considering what he wants, instead of what he "needs"?

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

From post #36 by the original poster:

Her first owner, Britton Chance Sr. changed her rig from free standing cat schooner to two Soling mains on tabernacles.

I'd like to go back to the original free standing rig, hence my query about my brochure, showing the original rig with a larger main and smaller fore.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Hahahaha....so so true :p

12. PAR

Jammer, why are you just focused on my syntax choices? Haven't you anything constructive to offer? If you can't work out the differences between client desires and vessel requirements, well maybe you just need to keep your day job greeting folks at Wal-Mart.

13. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

There is a lot of of not so pleasant methane gas in it, you know. :p

14. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hi everybody,
    Whether you think that I do not understand what is happened?
    All that has PAR written up to now chase just one purpose - to attract to attention of the potential client sandpiper32 to designer firm PAR to receive an offer and discredit and eliminate a competition of other firms.
    But he is mistake - I am not going to steal at all his client, because I do not have ambition to project Americas Cup class yacht. I am not an adherent of sailing yachts and not a hairdryer of sailing. Absolutely the other sorts of ships are interesting for me.
    The second error - or intentionally or because of ignorance PAR convinces and instills readers of the forum the most authoritative that method Delftship to serve only for the advertising purpose - to receive beautiful images of an end product. It is the most major nonsense.
    The method specified in Delftship is applied and in programs Maxsurf Modeler and Maxsurf Stability/see attached files/.
    For the computer model if OP has explained in the beginning that the question is about Americas Cup class yacht then I would offer the model from Maxsurf Modeler/see attached file/ instead of yacht Delftship.
    I wanted only to help in the forum. I do not impose my opinion to anybody. Everyone it is free itself to select. And as you already had a possibility I can be convinced very professionally to defend my ideas from unfounded attacks.
    In one Ad Hoc it is unconditionally right - in a forum not a place for maniacs which think that the site is their property and can give without any delay will of the rage and envy.
    Think, if who that from you was in my place how has acted?
    I hate such people which ready "to kill" the opponent if there is a difference in opinions.
    I have given all of you an obvious case for cooperation in the Forum. If you know about possibilities Maxsurf Modeler-it well but if there is no all the same you have learned that from me.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

15. PAR

This is utterly false and I do believe that you'll find I don't solicit or petition this site for clients, nor would you find members here agree with this observation of yours. If all you've gotten from my posts on this thread is some sort of self promotion, you really haven't read the posts or at the very least understood their meaning, which has been suggested repeatedly by myself and others.

I'm not sure what this means, but I think you'll find that the prominence of these free and low cost hull modeling packages, has suddenly made a lot of folks think, they're designing yachts and ships. You will not find a single professional using a toy program such as Delftsheep. I picked this bastardization of the name intentionally, as the typical users of these types of packages are being lead, much like the fuzzy beasts. Maybe you're right and the several thousands of dollars, I have tied up in software packages and their related subroutines, should just be cast aside in favor of these new free wonder programs. Oh pleeeease . . .

Really? Do you know who Ad Hoc is? How about his experience level, the projects he's been involved in, the number of times he's been published? Maybe you should get a better translator or something, because clearly you are having great difficultly understanding the content, without taking it out of context or blatantly misinterpreting it into some sort of personal assault. As to the America's cup comments, well that's new and who knows what your intent is with these remarks, but they too seem plainly out of context as well. Seems to be an on going theme here, with your posts and I'll assume the retort will be similarly distorted, in the portions that are literate enough to understand.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.