Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 09-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Rep: 1478 Posts: 3,682
Where are they available from?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Rep: 50 Posts: 224
Dear PAR,
If you have all drawings of the yacht certainly it is possible to do without computer model. But what for then there were long texts with the light automobile on top part of a skyscraper? What for generally has put sandpiper32 a problem in the forum? I have remained with impression that he has only two small photographing - interior and the plan of sails. If he does not have all drawings and at you is to you it was necessary to explain in a forum to shun superfluous altercations. This misunderstanding is obvious. But I do not regret is there was a good drill for me. And can be and you have learned that new about possibilities of program Delftship.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Rep: 300 Posts: 3,836
Rabah, I do not know exactly what it is that you believe that you have shown us.
I will not congratulate you for creating with DELFTship a model of a ship that no one knows if it seems, more or less, to sandpiper32 boat.
Really, I tell you honestly, I wonder what you think you've solved for sandpiper32.
I guess that you do not want to answer me but maybe there's someone else with similar questions to mine.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Rep: 3967 Posts: 17,802
My comments about the Mustang on the Empire State building where simply to demonstrate the intentional distortions, commonly employed in advertising to make things look better. The post should have been sufficiently clear enough in this regard and is common knowledge, to those having participated in some of these things. I agree with TANSL in regard to the perceived need to reproduce a set of lines, sail plan or whatever, when so much guess work is involved with this method, which shows in the Delftship rendering.

Simply put, the shape of a Presto is well known and several sets of plans are available for the type. As to the hypothetical situation, where no plans exist, just a photo or drawing, well, there are professionals that can address these concerns, with the end result being pretty much what the client wants, rather then just guesses about lens distortion (photos) or intentional image distortions (marketing team) from a scan and copy approach. I don't know any professional that would use this approach, instead relying on known examples as their guide in generating a new set of Presto plans, which is of course what you'd be paying for.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
Why is it necessary to recreate something that currently exists?
Any number of reasons.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Obviously, not following along with the whole thread (again) Jammer? Any more out of context you'd like to share?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM

Hi All,
It is for all which do not believe
Attached Thumbnails
drawing needs scale-asd-tug-fv_34m-slhouettes.jpg  drawing needs scale-asd-tug-fv_34m-profile.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Yacht Designer/Builder

It's not a matter if it can be done, but why bother on this particular issue the OP raised.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 AM

Should seek to provide solutions to what the OP has raised. Instead, apparently, what we need to do is to show all the "niceties" that one is capable of, although they have nothing to do with the initial question. Besides, much to say, it's necessary to try to show some intellectual superiority.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 AM

Rep: 1110 Posts: 1,561
Whoa! Suddenly a tugboat. This thread is getting convoluted.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Yacht Designer/Builder

That's just a profile of a hypothetical tug boat looking sort of thing - a pretty picture really. Much like the previous rendering, says or proves nothing about the actual tug, except that it's profile can be roughly approximated and assumingly, the volumetric information that comes along with this sort of speculation. Does it suit the SOR, clients needs address or all the convolutions a boat of this type must handle, etc.? In fact, tug boats are damn hard to do properly.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Hello,
If some people have published automobiles and skyscrapers in Forum for boats what for to me to not publish a tow in protection of possibilities of program Delftship. The Silhouette is made on coordinates of points lifted from Profile view.
More for this tug you can see in the thread “Calculation of intact stability and unsinkability for ASD Tug FV_34m” in this Forum.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:50 AM

Some naval architects (not all) have a disease whose most visible symptom is the belief that, for many crap they say, others should respect them. I guess this disease also occurs in other professions but when it affects a naval architect, gives me more grief.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
It's not a matter if it can be done, but why bother on this particular issue the OP raised.
Actually, how it can be done is exactly what the op asked:

Quote:
All I have for a drawing of my boat is a brochure, with a sailplan and a interior plan. Does anyone know how I can scale the drawings up or down to a convenient scale? I tried my architect's scale ruler and nothing quite fits. Thanks
"Why bother" is your issue, PAR, not the op's.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Yacht Designer/Builder

All the Op needs is a set of plans, of which several are available. Conversely, he could hire someone like Rabah, to generate pretty pictures of the 3 basic views and associated volumetrics, that somewhat resemble the Presto type, without regard to it's evolution or the subtle changes he's incorporated into them (the lines) and their affect on the abilities of the yacht. Of course, this wouldn't be a set of plans, just some pictures, but hey, you get what you pay for. This isn't a personal dig at Rabah, but simply what he has shown and would be indicative of the software he's employing. This coupled with the inability to understand the merits of the distortion examples I provided previously, maybe just a translation issue, though certainly easy enough for everyone else to follow, clearly (again) out of context.